Changing From Gravel - Sand

justjon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I need help!

Basically, I want to change my tank setup from the ugly orange/blue gravel I have to sand, to make it look a lot more natural and nicer!

I am just wondering, how to exactly go about doing this, so if someone could give me some steps/tips in getting started, it would be most appreciated...

Would I need to simply put the current fish into a bucket of some sort? If so.. as sand takes a long time to settle... would they survive in just a heated bucket for a few days?

In quite a pickle, so help really needed here

Sand settles straight away as it just falls to the floor, as long as its cleaned properly it will be fine.

Here is my steps of how i changed (i had internal and sponge filters)

1. clean the sand properly until you can swirl it up in water and the water stays clear.
2. if you have a gravel vac, clean the gravel throughout with it (this will help to keep it clear as you do it)
3. either suck the gravel up with the vac (take and off and use tube) or use something appropriate to get the gravel out.
4. once all the gravel is out, put the sand in ( i just used hand to put in)
5. replace decor (i left mine in so just sorted it back in to place)
6. Add fish back. (if you take them out)

I did mine this way but i left my fish in while i did it, i changed all my tanks to sand this way and it was fine, cleared up within 1 hour.

Depending on the size of tank, the whole process should take about 1-2 hours.

Most reactions

Back