Chain Sword Dying Off

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
About 2 months ago I planted a group of Amazon chain sword in my Juwel 180.
It seemed to do well and spread out but now it's dying off for some reason. The leaves are all turning yellow and falling off making a mess. I dose flourish excel and trace at half dose.
My Vallis and Mayaca plants are doing well, the chain sword just isn't for some reason.
What is the cause of the die-offs? Should I do full doses of fertilizers?

First, we should confirm the exact plant species.  Is it Helanthium tenellum (previously classified as Echinodorus tenellus), the pygmy chain sword, or is it Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, sometimes called the micro chain sword?  There is another species, Helanthium bolivianum, which is a slightly larger plant otherwise fairly identical to H. tenellum but requirements are the same for both.

Second, do you know the GH of your source water (presumably tap water)?  This is the primary source of the "hard" minerals such as calcium and magnesium, and these are not in Flourish Trace.

Could you post a photo of the entire tank so I can see the state of all the plants?  Photos can often show issues.  And detail your tank lighting; while I would assume the light is OK if Vallisneria is thrtiving, not necessarily.

Byron.

Hi Byron. Thanks for your response. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. I took some pictures which will be attached at the end of this response.
The name the plant was sold to me by was the broad leafed chain sword ( echinodorus quadricostatus ).
I'm not sure what the gH of the water is. All my other plants are growing finely if that's any use.
Full tank:

Closer to the affected plants:

The photos help.  By the way, E. quadricostatis is now taxonomically classified as Helanthium bolivianum, it is the slightly larger chain sword I mentioned previously.  I have this plant in two of my tanks.

As for the GH, check the website of your municipal water authority, it should be mentioned there.  It is important knowing this, as it affects fish.  I don't see it as an issue for the plants, but it is still important to know.

There is a nutrient issue, and I would change your fertilizers a bit.  First, you should use the basic complete Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, and continue the Flourish Trace.  Seachem recommend dosing these individually, though when I asked they admitted it won't hurt, but since I have been using both separately my plants have responded so I will recommend this.  Flourish Comprehensive on the day following the water change, Flourish Trace the day after that.  Once a week for each should be sufficient but breaking this down over several days may be preferable.  For your 180 litre (roughly 50 gallons) I would use approximately 2 ml of Flourish Comprehensive on the day following the water change, then 6ml of Flourish Trace the next day, then 2 ml of Comp the day after that, and then 4 ml of Trace the following day.

I would stop the Excel.  This is composed of glutaraldehyde, a highly toxic disinfectant.  Even at recommended doses it will kill some types of plants.  There will be sufficient CO2 occurring naturally to provide what the plants need in balance with the other nutrients and light.

Byron.

Thanks Byron. I'll up the dose of the trace and halt the excel and see where it takes me. I'll try to get some comprehensive when I can but availability of aquatic fertilizers is tricky.

TallTree01 said:
Thanks Byron. I'll up the dose of the trace and halt the excel and see where it takes me. I'll try to get some comprehensive when I can but availability of aquatic fertilizers is tricky.

Another near-identical to the Flourish Comprehensive is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti.  Interchangeable in my view, in case this is more readily available.

The plants died off over the past week. I pulled the last of them out today. :/ A bit sad as they looked really nice in their prime.

Are there any other nice foreground plants other than crypts? I'd like not to go that direction if I can.

TallTree01 said:
The plants died off over the past week. I pulled the last of them out today.
confused.gif
A bit sad as they looked really nice in their prime.

Are there any other nice foreground plants other than crypts? I'd like not to go that direction if I can.

Sorry to hear this.  We never got to your source water GH, and this may have been a factor as it is the source of calcium and magnesium.  Calcium is not present in the Trace, and it might have been sufficient in one of the others I mentioned if in time.  I didn't ask about light, as from the photo it seemed adequate, but the chain swords were in the darkest area so that may have been a factor.

I would try this plant again, or the smaller H. tenellum; over 20+ years I have found these plants the hardiest of any in my tanks.  Sagittaria natans is similar, but more demanding.  Most other plants suited to foreground will be even more demanding, which is why "carpet" plants need brighter light and more nutrients.  I would suggest that most of these will not make it if the chain swords fail.

Byron.

Sorry you lost those plants.  They are nice.  Next time I'd suggest trying some sort of substrate additive, likely iron was deficient.   I use gelatin capsules and fill them with soil ferts like Osmocote+ or even something like this: http://www.bamaplants.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40_44&products_id=104&zenid=757e819a366b058bc8cee2b349e960af

These really work great, and using the capsule allows you to easily dose them near the roots of your plants that need it, and won't foul the water.  The gelatin capsules will dissolve and the ferts will be exactly where you want them to be, near the plants' roots.  Best of all, they won't burn the roots, and are slowly released to the plants.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back