Centerpiece fish for 46 gallon tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sadness child

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
recently I had to get rid of my angelfish pair, and was wondering if you could give me ideas of centerpiece fish

18 Black Phantom Tetras
10 Blue Danios
6 Cory Cats

This is not going to be easy, finding a "centrepiece" species comparable to angelfish. The main issue is the active swimming behaviour of Danio kerri [Brachydanio kerri in some sources] which I assume is the species "blue danio." Active swimmers tend to annoy sedate fish, and over time this causes stress. This may have been behind the angelfish issue though I've no idea what that was about, but inappropriate species do lead to other problems which may not seem at all related but are.

The best idea here is a third shoaling fish that inhabits the middle layer of the water column. The danios are primarily upper level fish, the phantoms primarily lower level, so mid-level could use a species. Thinking larger fish that would fill more of the "centrepiece" role as far as possible, the Bleeding Heart Tetra comes to mind. A group of seven or eight.

No mention is made of water parameters, so I have gone with what works for what you already have, assuming it to be on the soft to moderate GH side.

everything you said is correct

the angel fish issue was breeding aggression, and when I took the female out the male got aggressive towards the others

my danios occupy more of the middle than the top (which now that I think about it might be because of the angelfish

I was also wondering if I could possibly add a betta or a ram of some sort

thank you

Not a betta. They don’t belong in community tanks.

A bolivian ram would be a nice fish to add. Though it stays in the lower 1/3 of the tank. I have one in my tiger barb tank and he's a great addition. Come over to side of tank when I come near.

As others have said, a Betta is not a community fish. Aside from that, being a sedate fish that lives in the upper near-surface area, it would be an easy target for bullying from the active danios. This is the issue for any similarly-quiet fish, like gourami which would be an option were it not for the danios and that is why I didn't mention gourami previously.

The ram could work, if it is the Bolivian Ram but not the common or blue ram in any of its varieties; the latter needs warmth, and the 80F (27C) -plus temperatures necessary for this ram would cause serious problems for the danios especially.

I am probably going to get 6 rummy nose, or 6 silver tips with a bolivian ram

I am probably going to get 6 rummy nose, or 6 silver tips with a bolivian ram

Rummynose tetras are fine as a species but you need at least double this number. I would not go below 12 with this species, it is one that without question is in better shape with this many (or even more, I had 25 in my 4-foot tank).

The Silver Tips probably not so good, especially with a ram; they have a tendency to fin nip sedate fish. More than just six might work against this, but I would not risk it.

Are the tetras, danios and cory catfish in post #6 still included? The Ram and 12 rummynose would be OK with these, but you should up thee cories by about double, 12-15.

It is not easy to get across the immense importance of numbers for shoaling species, and many fail to see why we keep harping on more, but it does make a real difference to the welfare of the fish and that means you will be rewarded with healthier fish and more natural behaviours.

ok thank you, but my local store does not have up to 12 rummies for sale. and I do not want to pay for shipping

ok thank you, but my local store does not have up to 12 rummies for sale. and I do not want to pay for shipping

You might find the species at another local/nearby store, or you can wait as they will likely be getting more. When I had my group of 21 they came from three different acquisitions, and two stores. I had 9 I think, and I added six a couple months later, and six more a couple months after that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back