FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Dear Fish Freaks,

I have 6 CPDS.
I had 7; collectively they were The Pleiades.
I'm not sure what happened to the 7th, but it probably had to do with messing with a filter inside a tank when it was on and which I will never do again.

That was quite a while ago and the remaining six are healthy beautiful colorful etcetera.

They are very shy fish...so far!!!
Last night I did a 30% water change and didn't position the plants the way they were before the change. The fish are more visible now which I am pleased with but one thing I am wondering is if it has to do with the fact that I can see them better because the plants have been moved to side a bit or if something else is going on.

There is a lot of jittering and chasing and flitting about. My gut tells me the males are trying to get the females attention because they need a little love.!

I'm sure that I know their sex correctly; I have two females and four males.

I really like how this 6 gallon tank is now.
6 Celestial Pearl danios 3 red cherry shrimp 1 old grizzled assassin snail still doing his or her job. Lots of plants. I do not want to upset this peaceful environment.

Is my ratio dangerous? Do I need more, I don't want more! Is there a possibility that they've been doing this already and I'm only noticing this now because I moved some of the plants aside? They are very are very brazen in their activity and don't seem to be concerned about my presence. They usually elude me to where it's even hard to get a picture of them.

Is somebody going to get hurt in there?

Waiting anxiously for response.

Dominant males can be quite feisty, even nipping fins of rival males, but kept in a group of 20 or more lessens the damage. The tank should be well planted to break up the line of sight, which seems to be the case here.

Thank you, I will sacrifice the wonderful spectacle and put the plants back where they were. Right now!

Thank you SO much!

Hey I had a few cpds a couple years ago, mine always seemed to be moving quickly, I presumed mating/playing. It wasn’t heavily planted so I guess it was always visible to me. As long as your water is fine I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about. I think I had 4 females and 3 males and everyone seemed happy so I wouldn’t worry about your ratio either.

But I have only 2 females and 4 males.
I'm going to close the gap I made in the plants and then watch closely to see if they are still "freaking out." It does look like they are playing, but moving very quickly.
Thanks for responding!

Enough plants to break the line of sight is important. I don't think the ratio matters although I do have more than 20. They are indeed quite feisty. I only have 2 dominant males in my group of around 30. There are plenty more males but these 2 are a long way the biggest and brightest. The good news is no real harm is done apart from the occasional nipped fins.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back