Catfish/pleco/cory Julii Advise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Whitey_144

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for bottom feeders, I will be getting Cory Julii, but also want to get 2/3/4 catfish (depending on size). Not sure which tanks they will go into, probably the 3&4ft

I have a 4ft, 3ft & 2ft planted tanks, sand substrate and T8 bulbs. Eheim external on the 4ft, eheim internal on the 3ft, and Fluval U2 in the 2ft.

So far I'm leaning towards, King Tiger Pleco, Golden Nugget, Tiger Pleco.

I've seen these for a variety of prices, what would be a good/common price for these 3 fish?

and would they get on in community tanks with corys and their own type/other plecos?

Are there any other catfish of similar price/size that you'd recommend (I like the stripey/spotted types).

Also, how many Julii would you recommend I keep in each tank? currently I have 3 angelfish, 18 cardinals and 3 apistos in the 4ft. 2 angelfish and 2 bolivian rams in the 3ft and 2 apistos in the 2ft.

Thanks!
Adam

Well, Make sure you note corys prefer to be in groups of 6+. I have 6 bronze corys and they love it.
tongue2.gif

Plecos are fine with corys, Price wise you can't really compare one LFS to another so it wouldn't matter.

I'd avoid common plecos unless you have a plan to stuff them in a good 120 gallon fish tank and such.

Firstly, just be aware that GN's can be one of the hardest species to acclimatise, the success rate of keeping them alive is actually alot lower than people may think..... they also get big so that would be a plec for the 4 footer if you do decide on one.

Price wise.... depending on what GN.....

GN.... £25-£35 but you can get cheaper if you shop around

L66, king tiger..... these are cheap as chips as young 1 inch fish, you can find them for as little as £8 nowadays...£10-£15 for 1 inch fish is probably average.... as adults your looking at £25-£50.... the higher band is usually females for obvious reasons.

Tigers?..... i presume you mean L02 (there are alot that are referred to as tigers)..... these are also quite cheap, young 1 inch fish, £10-£15... adults £25-£35.

As to the cory's... it's more likely trilli corys you will be buying and not true juliis...however a minimum considered is 6 due to them being very social but the more the merrier really, the more you have the more they interact and show confidence.

Thanks guys for the responses.

For the Cory's I will definitely be getting groups, probably 10 for the 4ft and 6 in the 3ft.

I think I will stay away from the GN, in my LFS i could get 2 GN for £60 (1.5inch long) or 2 Tigers for £50. Im not sure which L number the Tiger was as there was no label and its very confusing with the many types! I think the guy inthe LFS wasn't completely sure.

I've just been researching and I could get a chocolate Zebra Plec for £25 from Kesgrave aquatic on Ebay.

http://www.planetcat...?species_id=232

I thin I like the look of this fish more (because I love the normal Zebra plec). I imagine this fish is just darker? Do you think they would be fine with the fish I have? I saw on the link that they like warm water 80-86 degrees. My tank is at 77 at the moment and I thought that was warm! Would Angelfish, cardinals, Julii, bolivian ram & cockatoo cichlids be ok at 80 degrees?

Do these or the King Tigers eat algae, I dont have much algae, but would like to get one pleco that may help clean the tank.

Also, would the zebras breed?
yay.gif
) (obviously if they had the right conditions).

Im not looking to breed them as these are community tanks, but in the future who knows I may have more tanks!

High 70's will be fine for chocolates, 78-79 would ideally be minimum though.... your other fish should adapt at those temps, there not extreme so there wouldn't be to much to worry about in all honestly.

They are distinctly different in pattern, zebras have a very distinct pattern and there isn't really anything that comes close to it... yes the chocs are certainly darker in contrast but still a stunning fish all the same.

Breeding wise, anything is possible, however keeping the temp optimal and then cooler water changes is usually the way to go to induce spawning...however this sort of temp swings could be detrimental/stressful to the other fish longterm.... if you were to dedicate a tank to them, there probably one of the easiest hypan species to try and breed.

At 1.5inch for the GN's i would probably stay away, as i mentioned, they are hard to acclimatise and get feeding and such young fish will deteriorate quicker than larger ones.... that price is also expensive for that size..... i can averagely get round by me 3-4 inch GN's for £25 each.

If the tigers are sub adult, then £50 for 2 ain't bad, if they are 1.5 inch, i would probably look around for local breeders, they will sell you 2 at that size for half the price.

Thanks, the Tiger plecos were about 2.5/3 inches in the shop. But I think I prefer the chocolate zebras.

Is £25 for a chocolate zebra ok? and have you ever bought from Kesgrave aquatics?

Do Chocolate Zebras eat a bit of algae?

sorry for all the questions!

Thanks, the Tiger plecos were about 2.5/3 inches in the shop. But I think I prefer the chocolate zebras.

Is £25 for a chocolate zebra ok? and have you ever bought from Kesgrave aquatics?

Do Chocolate Zebras eat a bit of algae?

sorry for all the questions!

It's about an average price tbh mate if sub adult/adult.... if they are 1-1.5 inch then i would source locally from a private breeder if you can... you will get that size for £10-£15 each.

I haven't brought from kesgrave myself but know people that have and they have never had problems.... i usually buy from breeders as the stock is usually better/healthier and tank bred...also they are usually much cheaper than your average lfs/online shop.

As to algae, no, not really.... they are primarily a carnivorous species but will eat veg occasionally (veg should be offered often even if it's not eaten though).... but yeh....from my experience, they will rarely eat algae, if at all... but tbh, a well fed plec of any species will eat very little anyways..

P.S.... no need to be sorry mate, happy to help where possible
good.gif

thanks, I think I'll probably get a couple of bristlenose too, I had them years ago and know how good they are at keeping algae in check.

What's the easiest way to find local breeders (surrey).

I've searched on here,
www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk
but havent found any easily...or most posts are very old!

Are there any other sites?

thanks, I think I'll probably get a couple of bristlenose too, I had them years ago and know how good they are at keeping algae in check.

What's the easiest way to find local breeders (surrey).

I've searched on here,
www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk
but havent found any easily...or most posts are very old!

Are there any other sites?

Try ...... http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/ and ..... http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/ ..... both very good sites for info and to find possible local breeders :)... post a wanted ad and i'm sure there will be some breeders in your area
good.gif

Sorry Mods if linking isn't allowed
innocent.gif

thanks, i've posted a 'wanted page' I've also managed to get in touch with someone who was selling King Tiger Plecs a few months back, he has said he has still got some babies available for £8 each @1" or adult/juve for £25 each. I know you said GN 1inch fish is risky, are other baby catfish 1inch long hardier? How many babies would you suggest would be good, 2 in each of the 3&4 ft tanks? Also not sure if my angelfish will think they are food (although they leave the cardinals alone).

I've also found another fish I like! L075 http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=195
Would one of these be ok in the 4ft/240L tank? I saw they can get to 25cm.

Looking at Cory Julii ( trilineatus), there temp range seems more like up to 77/79. If I got 4 baby King Tiger Plecos, 1 x 075, and a couple of bristlenose for the algae. Would they all get on and be ok at around 79/80 degrees?

Oh also, I need to think about buying something for them to hide in. I have a couple of slate caves for my apistos and they love it!

Where/what caves do you usually buy? I've found these so far

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160925959628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150772882712?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271102412742?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Is the clay fired or charcoal bamboo going to affect the water?

(I really dont like the plain terracotta look)...

Also, what food do you recommend?

thanks, i've posted a 'wanted page' I've also managed to get in touch with someone who was selling King Tiger Plecs a few months back, he has said he has still got some babies available for £8 each @1" or adult/juve for £25 each. I know you said GN 1inch fish is risky, are other baby catfish 1inch long hardier? How many babies would you suggest would be good, 2 in each of the 3&4 ft tanks? Also not sure if my angelfish will think they are food (although they leave the cardinals alone).

I've also found another fish I like! L075 http://www.planetcat...?species_id=195
Would one of these be ok in the 4ft/240L tank? I saw they can get to 25cm.

Looking at Cory Julii ( trilineatus), there temp range seems more like up to 77/79. If I got 4 baby King Tiger Plecos, 1 x 075, and a couple of bristlenose for the algae. Would they all get on and be ok at around 79/80 degrees?

Sorry for the slow reply mate..... the reason i would suggest staying away from GN's is really for there renowned hardness to acclimatise..... younger GN's will just suffer quicker than adults if it takes a while to get them feeding... so although they wouldn't really be any more fragile than the next 1 inch plec, if it were to take a while to get feeding that's where the problems lie..... young hypan species... 270, 66 etc that you are thinking about are very easy to get feeding and they will eat food given so unless ill when brought, deterioration is usually unlikely.

The amount you have is unto you mate.... 66 and 270's usually max out at around 5-6 inch so you can actually house quite a few aslong as there is adequate hiding places for each one... because you are usually them (at the moment) for a non breeding fish... 2-3 in each tank will be fine.... i cant se your other fish considering them as food and tbh, the will hide most of the time anyways so they should be fine.

As to the para (L75).... beautiful plecs, do get bigger than the others but would be fine in the 4 footer...infact it would probably be fine in the 3 footer but obviously the bigger tank you can offer the better.

I wouldn't add that many bottom dwellers to a tank and probably not that many plecs anyways.... not only could you suffer with aggression problems but you will have a huge amount of waste form them.... plecs are very messy fish..... i would personally have one or the other... maybe 4-6 king tigers or bristlenose or the L75.... you would probably get away with a couple of BN's and the L75 but i certainly wouldn't suggest all of what you listed in one tank.

They will all be ok in the temperature you mentioned though
smile.png

Oh also, I need to think about buying something for them to hide in. I have a couple of slate caves for my apistos and they love it!

Where/what caves do you usually buy? I've found these so far

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

Is the clay fired or charcoal bamboo going to affect the water?

(I really dont like the plain terracotta look)...

Also, what food do you recommend?

I use a mixture mate, i actually make my own slate caves to use but the ones you've link to will be fine.... the terracotta ones are fine that you have linked to aswell,not sure about the charcoal ones myself...never used them so don't know how they affect water.... they are typically used in shrimp tanks so they may actually drop the PH?.... but i don't really know..... the bamboo caves are fine.... just be aware that plecs can get caught up in the wire/cotton that's holding the java moss down.... ive had it happen a couple times so it's just something to be aware of really.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi, Thanks for the advice I've decided to get one 075 and 3/4 King Tiger's, maybe 2 in each tank (and maybe 1 ancistrus in the 4ft). Unfortunately the 2ft tank isn't cycled as much as I had hoped, so im monitoring that at the moment and will probably set my catfish buying back 2 weeks. hopefully I can get them in before xmas though! also gives me more time to prepare the food and caves etc.

Im also waiting for complimentary sand from aquaessentials, because they previously sent me the wrong type...frustrating! but it will get there!

Ill let you know when I get closer to fish buying!

thanks

Hi,

I've now got 2 bristlenoses (2inch), 6 cory's, 6 cardinals and 2 rams in the 2ft tank. Ill get some photos of the bristlenoses when they come out!

Ive also added black sand to my 3ft tank, so that is ready for some of the fish and plants (xmas weekend).

however, the 3ft is empty at the moment and I have a really nice piece of wood that I got from pet smart a year ago. It was in the aquatic wood section for a fiver. but at the til they said it shouldve been in the reptile bit for £20, they still charged me £5. The label just says 'Vine Root Large'. to me it looks like mopani, but i dont know. would this piece be ok in the tank even if they were selling it for reptiles, i dont think they know what theyre doing at petsmart anyway - is it the same as mopani?

http://s1080.beta.photobucket.com/user/Whitey_144/media/Fish%20Tank%20Wood/DSC01379.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

thanks,
adam

Hi mate..... no, vine is different to mopani, there is reports that vine isn't the best for tanks simply because it rots if i remember correctly, however i have used this in the past and it's been completely fine for a long time..... try it and if you think its degrading quicker than you would like, change it but i'm sure you will be perfectly fine ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back