Catfish Overload?

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
475
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
Today I have transferred my two otos which previously lived with the bettas into the main planted tank and got them 3 more companions, in the hope of making them a bit more lively when they are in a group.

I now have 5 otos and a baby bristlenose plec in that tank (19 US gallons, 24x12x15 inches). I was talking to the man in the lfs and he reckoned I could add a few cories too as they don't add much to the bioload.

I'm not sure if that would make it catfish overload in my tank, with too many fish at the bottom competing for space, although at least the cories and otos don't compete for food, having totally different diets.

What do you think? A group of 4 cories once the new otos have settled in? Or not? Stocking is in sig below.
 
I think you have enough bottom dwellers for a 19 gallon.
My plecs didn't like my corys to much.
Your stocking already pussing it.
 
I'd leave it as it is. Bristlenoses can get very possessive about food, anybody's food, not just their own, and corys can't fight back. I do have 3 corys and a half-grown female bristlie in my 19 gallon, but I am well aware that this can only be a temporary arrangement. And I have a lighter load than you in the rest of the tank, too: only 3 portholes (tetra size).

Bristlies also produce a lot of waste, and corys are sensitive to dirty substrate.
 
Thanks that's what I thought. I wasn't planning on adding anything else to be honest - I didn't plan on putting the otos in but they weren't really enjoying it in the betta tank, not much space and they just hung around under the filter all day doing nothing. Thought the guy at the lfs was talking through his hat - he was the same guy that told me I could have 12 livebearers in my original 34 litre tank :rolleyes: Good job I found this forum before I took him at his word.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top