What's new

Catching Clown Loach

star4

Reaction score
In the next few days I am going to be moving a lot of my fish around into new tanks. However some have not been caught for years. My major problem is how on earth am I going to move a 20" plec!!, I am thinking best by hand, grab tail and head and mind the spikes.

My second problem is a group of clown loach. I am aware of the spikes and Bertha my largest is about 10-12" the others range down to the smallest at about 4", the small ones I am not worried about. What is the best and least stressful way of moving large clown loach? Its going to be a pain of a job because they will have to go into a holding tank while their old tank is moved and the new tank set up.

NickAu

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score

how on earth am I going to move a 20" plec!!
Carefully.

You could empty most of the water from the tank then,  try using a big plastic container something like Tupperware,  and use a small net to heard it into the container.

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I always use a combination of flower pots and/or buckets for big fish; especially spikey ones! Bits of drainage pipe are also good.

You can indeed catch big plecs with your hands, but I'd recommend gardening gloves or a towel, as they are very good at twisting about and stabbing you!

Good luck; I don't envy you one bit!

OP
star4

star4

Reaction score
I had to move Gibbs a couple of years ago at 14" and I did it by hand, but Jethro is much bigger and stronger - not looking forward to shifting him.

I think I am going to use a black bucket on its side and try and herd all the clowns into it with low water level. If I get Bertha in the others should follow. I hope anyway.

NickAu

Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Now don't you wish your pleco was friendly like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5T1RUeQNtA

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
My ex used to have a common that would swim into his hands, if he held them in the tank
I loved that plec!