Castiel: My New Boy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Llegmore said:
A Supernatural fan by any chance?
Yup. You caught me. I was originally going to call him 'Clarence' but my mum thought Castiel suited him better.
Your Mum has great taste!. The next one could be Crowley!

I love Supernatural, but have fallen behind with my viewing! mmmm Dean 
yes.gif

drool.gif

Yes, my other half has been a big fan of Dean since the series started. Season 8 just finished last week in UK.

8511swann said:
Yes, my other half has been a big fan of Dean since the series started. Season 8 just finished last week in UK.

Season 9 starts in a few weeks on the US schedule. Wahoo! I don't often name my fish (other than bettas), but I was considering having a whole supernatural tank and choosing fish to fit the names.

Sarette said:
I love Supernatural, but have fallen behind with my viewing! mmmm Dean 
yes.gif

drool.gif
I am definitely a Dean girl. Although Cas is such a little cutie. This season was gr8 - well worth catching up on.

RCA said:
Ha, another who has found Betta Resistance is Futile, great looking Betta, I am sure he is enjoying his new jungle, far better than the LFS.
Very much so. He didn't have much to play with in the shop. He's a very curious betta - most of the boys I get are normally pretty lazy. He's started work on a bubble nest:
tumblr_mtllw50WfU1s0off3o2_500.jpg

and he certainly isn't camera shy:
tumblr_mtllw50WfU1s0off3o1_500.jpg

I'm still trying to get a good picture of him flaring. His half-moon fins really are magnificent when he fans them out.

To get the best photo of him flaring stand a small mirror by his tank.  I do not do this very often, but occasionally the boys seem to like to have a bit of exercise flaring 
yes.gif
  The boy in my current avatar is also a HM.  They soon get to know who you are, don't they?

wow he looks great! much better thanks anything I have seen in a LFS :)

RCA said:
To get the best photo of him flaring stand a small mirror by his tank.  I do not do this very often, but occasionally the boys seem to like to have a bit of exercise flaring 
yes.gif
  The boy in my current avatar is also a HM.  They soon get to know who you are, don't they?
ooh he's a pretty one. They really do ... I can almost hear him thinking "foooooooood" when I go near the tank. My veiltail boy in the tank next door flares all the time, but he doesn't live alone so that may prompt it. I've never used the mirror idea, I'll see if I can find one small enough. I've seen Castiel flaring a couple of times, there are guppies in the tank on the other side of him and I think he can see them. I've just never had my camera to hand and he stops when I leap over there. Tease!

Pele said:
wow he looks great! much better thanks anything I have seen in a LFS
smile.png
Thanks! He's one of the best I've ever seen in a LFS, which is why I snapped him up. I stood by his tank while my mum went to find an assistant because I was so worried someone would swoop in and buy him.

For anyone interested, I'm keeping a journal on him and his tank here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/425105-betta-tank-4/
I'm planning on uploading some videos of him later.

Urgh I'm cursed. Guess who has ich!?! So far, he's only displaying the white spots and is acting perfectly normally. I haven't had ich in any of my tanks for at least 2 years but I fortunately have something in my box of lotions and potions that should help.
And it's not going to be out of date for 4 whole months!
laugh.png
Stockpiling medicines doesn't seem like such a waste of money at times like these.

Spots are only just visible and they are appearing only on his tail at the moment. He is itching against plants, wood and stones every now and then but his movement is good, his eyes are clear (as far as I can see) and there's no slimy-ness.

I'm going to do 20% water changes every day and dose until he gets better. My poor baby! I considered putting him in a 5 gallon quarantine, but as he's the only one in the tank and I don't want to stress him with further disturbance, I decided against it. It's been so long since I treated any disease, is the filter meant to be switched off? I know circulation and aeration is crucial, especially with ich, but I can't remember. Help?

I'm going to upload a video later. Here's the best picture I could get of his tail (feat. my fingers and a bloodworm.)
tumblr_mtyfpaXAyF1s0off3o1_1280.jpg

He looks beautiful, spots and all :p I don't know anything about ich but I hope it goes away quickly!

It's a parasitic infection. It can be quite nasty coz it weakens the host and makes them vulnerable to bacterial infections and chemical imbalances. Hopefully I've caught it in time and he'll get better. Thanks for the comment! He looks good even when he's sick - such a super model.

Oh man!  Hate to hear this!  He still looks really good so I believe he will get over this easily.  I suggest raising them temp to at least 86F to help speed up the life cycle.  I have had luck with treating bettas with just high temps and salt but meds are another course of action.  As well as siphoning the substrate daily to catch any of the parasites as they fall off of him.  Good luck and I hope he gets over this quickly. Oh and leave your filter going.  :)

He's all better now. Well, the spots are gone.
biggrin.png
I'm still debating doing some salt treatment for his tail. Thanks!

That's great, well done! I am still fishless..., am so fed up with looking at a fishless tank!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back