Caring For Snail Ramshorn Eggs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RyanTheFishGuy64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys

A couple of weeks ago i saw my snails mating. I was expecting eggs above the waterline as I researched, but apparently that wasn't the case. This morning, I found a little brownish sac in the corner of the glass on the silicon seal. Upon closer inspection I found 13! I set up my 2.5 gallon to put the eggs in. When I scraped them off, they seemed pretty safe in the gel. I left a couple in the tank in case I did something wrong and killed them all. Should I not have taken them off the glass? They are laying on the bottom of the tank now. Also, one of them fell apart when removing it, I'm guessing this was them being ready to hatch? Should I add something to the water? Should I attempt to put the egg sacs on the sides of the 2.5 gallon?
Thanks

Theres probably loads of sacs that you just didnt see, they are prolific when it comes to breeding and no special measures are needed.
I have never tried raising them in their own tank or tried transfering the eggs... if you leave them alone then you will have an abundance of them providing that you dont have any fish that prey on them.
I think that the ones you have saved are probably ok.... im only saying this as snails are evident in new set ups with water that is unstable, transfered with plants that are not submerged in water and there are potions that eliminate them stating them as pestes...they are pretty much indestructable.
I dont think it matters where they are placed, but if you see any in the main tank you should move them over rather than trying to move the eggs.

Ive found 10 more sacs in the gravel already! I have moved a lot of the actual snails over too. Pretty interesting

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back