Carbon filter and plants.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aqua.land

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi.
I've never come across this before but when helping someone out on another thread this caught my eye.
I have a triple filtration stage filter - A section with ceramic bacteria, A section which is the floss/wool filter cartridge, and an algae pad.
Filter - Love fish filter Wool and algae cartridges - Love fish service pack
The wool/floss filter cartridge contains carbon. Not a lot, like some others, but still does.
Apparently this is very bad for live plants - (I have many). I have never come across this before.
Could someone explain why it is bad/what should I do? Why is carbon put in filters anyway?

Note: At the moment I am doing a white spot treatment, I've taken the cartridge out for now but will put it back in for a short amount of time after the treatment is done to help clear everything up. :)

I only use carbon to clear up medication after using it. I took my other cartridges out and replaced them with more sponge filters. IMHO The filter industry makes a lot of money selling carbon and other filters.

I only use carbon to clear up medication after using it. I took my other cartridges out and replaced them with more sponge filters. IMHO The filter industry makes a lot of money selling carbon and other filters.

Thanks. So for the sponge filter - Can I buy it and then cut it to size? Or how does it work? :)

Just find some filter sponge slightly bigger than you need and cut it down to the size of the cartridge - the sponge can be thicker than the cartridge but the other dimensions should fit snuggly so that the water can't get round the edges.

Just find some filter sponge slightly bigger than you need and cut it down to the size of the cartridge - the sponge can be thicker than the cartridge but the other dimensions should fit snuggly so that the water can't get round the edges.

Thank you. I'll have a look online for various filter sponges - do you have any recommendations?
I'm a bit worried that my water will become dirty, I know it's unlikely but I still am.

Do you mean you are worried there will be bits in the water? If you use a fine sponge rather than a coarse one, that will catch the bits better.

There are spare sponges made for all sorts of filter - can you get to a shop like Maidenhead Aquatics to see what they stock?

You asked why carbon is bad with live plants. Activated carbon adsorbs (it is adsorb, not absorb) substances including DOC (dissolved organic carbons) and various other nutrients. Using Wikipedia's definition,
Dissolved organic carbon (DOC) is the fraction of total organic carbon operationally defined as that which can pass through a filter size that typically ranges in size from 0.22 and 0.7 micrometers.[1] The fraction remaining on the filter is called particulate organic carbon (POC).​
Dissolved organic carbon (DOC) is is a potential source of carbon and energy for heterotrophic organisms and contributes significantly to stream ecosystem metabolism. [Kaplan & Newbold, "Surface and Subserface Dissolved Organic Carbon," Streams and Ground Waters, 2000.]

Carbon is a macro-nutrient, and in a planted aquarium, carbon (CO2) is usually the first nutrient to become exhausted. So encouraging it and not removing it is in the best interests of the plants. If you add liquid fertilizer for the plants, carbon will remove some of this. It will also remove tannins which while not a plant nutrient are beneficial to many soft water fish.

Live plants also filter water better than any filter we could install, all else being equal. Of course the carbon becomes less active as it fills up and eventually is useless except as biological media (the nitrifying bacteria will colonize any surface).

You asked why carbon is bad with live plants. Activated carbon adsorbs (it is adsorb, not absorb) substances including DOC (dissolved organic carbons) and various other nutrients. Using Wikipedia's definition,
Dissolved organic carbon (DOC) is the fraction of total organic carbon operationally defined as that which can pass through a filter size that typically ranges in size from 0.22 and 0.7 micrometers.[1] The fraction remaining on the filter is called particulate organic carbon (POC).​
Dissolved organic carbon (DOC) is is a potential source of carbon and energy for heterotrophic organisms and contributes significantly to stream ecosystem metabolism. [Kaplan & Newbold, "Surface and Subserface Dissolved Organic Carbon," Streams and Ground Waters, 2000.]

Carbon is a macro-nutrient, and in a planted aquarium, carbon (CO2) is usually the first nutrient to become exhausted. So encouraging it and not removing it is in the best interests of the plants. If you add liquid fertilizer for the plants, carbon will remove some of this. It will also remove tannins which while not a plant nutrient are beneficial to many soft water fish.

Live plants also filter water better than any filter we could install, all else being equal. Of course the carbon becomes less active as it fills up and eventually is useless except as biological media (the nitrifying bacteria will colonize any surface).

Thank you. So if I add plant fertiliser all the nutrients and good stuff in it will be adsorbed by the carbon?

Thank you. So if I add plant fertiliser all the nutrients and good stuff in it will be adsorbed by the carbon?

Some will, it depends upon the carbon (it can adsorb just so much) and how much fertilizer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back