Can't Keep Plecos Alive For More Than A Day Or Two

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

esoterix

Reaction score
[SIZE=9pt]I am having a hard time keeping algae eating bottom feeders (plecos, Chinese algae eaters) alive in my newer aquarium. I setup a 65 gal back in March/April, it has pool filter sand about an inch thick for ground cover. I have some pieces of drift wood and java ferns for decoration. I have two canister filters, one of which came from another established aquarium. Tankmates are pretty easy going tetras (Congo, bleeding hearts) and a couple marigold variatus.Ā [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I attempted to transfer a clown bushy nose pleco from my other aquarium and it died within 24 hours. I waited a month or two and bought a common pleco from the pet store and that again died within 24 hours. I tried a Chinese algae eater 3 weeks ago and it too died within 24 hours. No signs of disease or abuse. I saw a couple of them a few hours before I found them dead and they didnā€™t appear to be in distress (though itā€™s hard to tell with these types of fish). Prior to any pleco/algae eaters I added 5 albino corys. They all seemed happy for about a month and then I lost 3 of them over the span of 6-8 weeks. The two corys that remain appear to be doing well.Ā [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]My ammonia is at or near zero, same with nitrite, my nitrates have been ranging between 5-20, this may be the result of a variatus that died within a few days of introduction that I was not able to recover. Algae is an issue which is why I have been trying to place a pleco/algae eater in the aquarium. This could be from the higher nitrates and indirect light from a nearby window.Ā [/SIZE]
Ā 
[SIZE=9pt]I had suspected it could be related to a large piece of Malaysian driftwood I had bought for the aquarium. However I had soaked it for months and it has been in the aquarium since setup. Thinking it could have been contaminated ā€“ I removed the piece changed out some water and then attempted to add a new rubbernose pleco to the tank. It still died within 48 hours. I have hit a dead-end as to what is causing this issueā€¦[/SIZE]
Ā 
[SIZE=9pt]The PH of the aquarium is around 8.5 due to the local tap water. I try to do 20% water changes every week or two, and stir the sand to avoid toxic gas buildup. I have an aquarium with 2 plecos I want to take down, but donā€™t want to transfer the plecos if they are going to die.. The LPS and aquarium society have no idea why this is happening and I canā€™t find anything on the internetā€¦ Any ideas? Thanks![/SIZE]

This sort of issue is often very difficult to resolve, as one simply has to go through the possibles until one finds the cause. Ā The fact that upper fish appear immune would tend to suggest it is something related to the substrate, or wood.
Ā 
Was there any sort of whitish fungus on the wood?
Ā 
Are there plenty of hiding places out of the direct tank light for the pleco and corys?
Ā 
The newly acquired pleco...did they have sunken bellies, or were they eating well?
Ā 
Are any substances or chemicals [meaning, aquarium-related] entering the tank, aside from water conditioner?
Ā 
The ammonia and nitrite...at or near zero suggests these are not "zero" permanently? Ā What do they rise to, and when in relation to water changes?
Ā 
Pleco can be very sensitive, but I've always thought CAE rather indestructible. Ā BTW, the CAE is not good for algae, as it grows it eats less to none and can be very nasty to other fish. Ā And the common pleco is not good for algae either, and as it grows to more than a foot will be a problem in its own right.
Ā 
I would increase your water changes; no less than once each week, and 1/3 to 1/2 the tank volume.

The wood was clean when I put it in there and the only thing on it now is some algae, no fungus.
Ā 
I have two pieces of driftwood, one fairly large, and java ferns for tank decor.
Ā 
The pleco purchased most recently looked happy and healthy, no sunken belly.
Ā 
Other than Amquel + during PWCs there are no other chemicals being used it the aquarium.
Ā 
Iā€™ve only seen the ammonia vary between 0-0.25ppm. The highest I've seen the nitrate has been 20, it tested at 10 last night before the PWC.
Ā 
The only reason I went with a CAE was due to their hardiness and cost. If I canā€™t keep one of them alive I know the pleco isn't likely to do any better. My plan was to re-home the CAE once things were straightened out.
Ā 
I have stepped up the water changes lately and will continue to do so. I just canā€™t figure this outā€¦ I agree that it is more likely be substrate/driftwood relatedā€¦ I think I got all fragments of the driftwood removed, but may have missed a couple tiny pieces before I added the last pleco, which I suppose could have caused a similar result if the pleco fed off it. I cleaned the pool filter sand before adding and my current corys donā€™t seem to mind itā€¦Ā 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back