Cant get rid of Ich

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Talleyrand

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been trying to rid a 55 gallon tank of ich for at least a month now, the only result being I have killed off several catfish using increasing levels of nasty anti-ich agents.
I started by using Rid Ich from Kordon, which did knock the infection down but it came back approximately a week later. I did continue to treat the tank for 3 days after I had seen the last ich spot.
I tried Jungles Ich Clear, again it stopped the spread but ich still clung to several "scaleless fish".
I decided to "nuke" the tank with the strongest stuff I could get my hands on which my lfs assured me was Quick Cure from Aquarium products. This seems to have cleared the ich problem on every fish except two figure eight puffers who continue to be infected no matter what I throw at them.
Any ideas????

I have not treated the tank with anything in a week, I have been vacuuming the tank nearly every day attempting to suck up as many spores as possible.

Hi Talleyrand I think the best way to rid your tank of ich and without any medicine at all, is to raise the temp. to 85 degrees for a week or so and do a water change every other day around 25 percent.. The high temp will kill off the free swimmers. But you need to check about the puffers I dont know if they can survive that higher temps or not. I have found this method is the best way it is a lot less stressful on the fish.......

raise the temp. get some coppersafe. it is the only thing that worked for me. I suggest throwing in some carbon to get rid of any meds you already have in the tank. Also copper safe can be harmful to scaleless fish.

I kept the temp at 84 F for four days with a daily vacuum and the ich seems to have gone :D

Most reactions

Back