• Coldwater Community

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, and post details

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wendywc

Rocking a crabshell for a hat.
Reaction score
This would be for my empty 55 gallon. It's 48"L x 13"W x 20"H. And yes, it's been sitting for about a year and I'm going crazy with it empty. But I can't decide what to do; which is also making me crazy.

I'm trying to decide between these two setups:

Tropical Community
- 6 to 8 rainbow fish, possibly marci
- 6 glass catfish
- 8 cories
- and whatever else to round out a peaceful community
Pros for me would be that I've always wanted rainbows, but have no room for them. Also, my hubby has always loved glass cats. I'm not sure if cories would be too active for the glass cats, but I've never kept cories and I would like to watch their group dynamics... I love group dynamics and always find that interesting.

Or Coldwater Community
- 3 goldfish (at least 1 or 2 oranda)
- 3 dojo/weather loaches, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus
- and 5 to 6 american flagfish, Jordanella floridae
Pros for me on this setup is that I think goldfish are great... like aquatic puppies. I know they're not popular with alot of other people, but I like them. Plus I loved to keep and watch the weather loaches and their behaviours. I round the tank out with flagfishes since they are colorful and different. Temperature wise they should work, but I don't know about their personalities. I don't want any aggression.

Any inputs are appreciated!

my personal choice would be tropical. not really a lover of goldfish but at the end of the day its personal taste how about a school of bosmanni rainbows and some pearl gouramis both would look gorgeous .

have to agree they are stunning fish but from what i understand not the easiest to look after?

The reason why the decision is so hard is because I already have a tropical tank. My 30 gallon (in my sig) already has pearl gouramis and rummynose tetras. So I was thinking about trying something else... but maybe just try other tropical fish that I've never had or don't have room for since the 30 is full.

Not sure about the german blue ram; never been a fan of cichlids. I guess that one is much less agressive, correct?

100% tropical, but there are sooo many options and set ups

Not sure about the german blue ram; never been a fan of cichlids. I guess that one is much less agressive, correct?

Mine are a pain, I love them but they can be abit possessive of their space...if blue rams are "good" I would not like to know about the other cichlids agression...I would still have them though as they are beautiful.

My vote is definately tropical...why have coldwater in a tank when you can build a pond?

Thats my view anyway. :blush:

Hmmm, Coldwater. Large, brightly colored goldfish look absolutely stunning, plus I heard dojo loaches are really fun to watch. :3

Hi, If I were you, I would research all of the fish types you are interested in of both types and pick the ones that sound like they would fit into your fish keeping preferences. I have had an outdoor pond for 12 years and can say the goldfish I have in with the koi are very beautiful, (especially the long finned ones & speckled Shubunkins), and the best thing about them is they are very hardy!! Even with extreme cold, they just go dormant and I stop feeding until it warms up. They love to eat peas, romaine lettuce, and grapefruit slices. I had a fancy goldfish, (Ryukin) given to me, (like the Orandas), and loved seeing it's fat little body try and keep up with the koi.

The Ryukin started having problems staying upright so I brought him indoors were I could warm up the aquarium. Lots of research on my part showed they have this issue sometimes- some think because of constipation from what they are eating, (regular peas are recommended); and others say swim bladder infection from the shape of their body. I tired everything and couldn't fix him. NOT to discourage you from getting these beautiful fish- just so you can be aware of how to care for them to avoid this! They are very fun to watch in the tank, very friendly and non-agressive.

Another thing about goldfish is that they get large, so a big tank is needed. Be sure you consider the full grown size when stocking. Goldfish are also considered "dirty" fish so good filtration is needed. (And try not to overfeed) Regular goldfish are very hardy and can exist in lots of conditions.

I eventually migrated to adding a 60 gallon tropical tank and had to learn different caretaking for their demands. Recently upgraded to a 125 gallon to accomodate growth. (I guess I am hooked) It seems to me that the tropical fish need more special care than the goldfish, but since you already have one you seem experienced. So I go back to the suggestion of researching the fish and go with the ones that you can't live without! Have fun! Jana

Thanks, sweetyness. That's why I was thinking of no more than 3 goldfish --- 2 orandas and 1 fantail or just 2 orandas. I looked it up and these should only get 8" big. I think I would cross out the shubunkin since he gets to 14". Too fat for the tank there.

As for the issue of over filtering; I can over filter. That's not a problem.

Also, as for having a pond instead...
No ponds for me here in Houston, Texas; it's too hot here. I wouldn't keep any animal out in this heat.

And Myuu, I agree with you. Goldfish are such characters and so colorful. There's so many tropical fish to choose from though. I'm still undecided.

Put together a stocking list that's different enough from what you have that it's not like having too similar tanks, then flip a coin and don't look at it. I've usually found if you can get a decision down to two options, after you flip the coin, you'll know which way you want it to land.

If you're still not sure, look at the coin.

Well after showing pictures of the possible choices between the two setups to my husband, he approved the tropical setup. I was really rooting for the goldfish because I've always liked them and I wanted to be a renegade with this crowd. But he pointed out I can have the dojo/weather loaches in a tropical setup and I do want rainbowfish, so tropical it is.

So it's tropical with this potential stocking:
- 6 to 8 rainbow fish, possibly marci
- 8 glass catfish
- 3 to 5 dojo/weather loaches

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Most reactions

trending

Back