Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Betta_Shark5678

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a problem, and I'd like some opinions.  I have a new 65 gallon tank to setup and I can't decide on a few things!
tongue2.gif
Too many options...
First - Substrate.
Should I use a very fine sand, I want cories, or a slightly less fine sand (play sand lol), or a planting substrate?
What color?  I'm leaning towards black, though it's expensive, and the play sand, while it doesn't look as nice, is cheap!
tongue2.gif

Second - Hardscape.
Should I use more rocks, or more wood?  Lots of slate, or not?  
I like slate caves, and I'm still hunting for the perfect pieces of wood, for all of my tanks.

Third - Plants.
I have a nice list of plants, but I'm they'll look good together in reality.  Sure in my head they look great, but in the tank that might not be true! They are: Deep red Jungle Val, Amazon Sword (I'm not sure what sp exactly, I'll look it up tomorrow...), green Cabomba (if I could also find some red that would be ideal), Watersprite, some kind of Sagittaria, and some kind of Pennywort.  Any body grown this mix, or parts of this mix before?  (Any suggestions are welcome as well! As long as they are South American.)

Fourth - Layout.
I can't decide between a "valley" in the middle of the tank, with the substrate slight deeper, and most of the hardscape on the sides, or if I should do rocks on one side, wood on the other side, plants filling in kind of thing! 

Anyways.  Thanks for your input!
smile.png

For a cheaper alternate, I use black diamond blasting media. It's eight bucks for fifty pounds.

I suppose a lot depends on stock list & how much time you've got for maintenance. You could mix black with another to darken the bottom but keep cost down a bit...

SamB said:
For a cheaper alternate, I use black diamond blasting media. It's eight bucks for fifty pounds.

Wouldn't that be a bit sharp for catfish?

Tlm - that seems to be the object of some debate. I keep Corydoras on it without any issues, I haven't seen any cutting or scarring! It also has never cut me.

SamB said:

That's good to know, but is this sharp? If this is a cheap black sand that is good for cories and I didn't know about it, I'm going to explode lol

I personally use pool filter sand in all my tanks. love the looks of it as it is brownish, have rocks stacked for caves. Very natural looking.

Thanks for all the replies!

SamB said:
I've heard about this before, and I was going to use it for my 55 gallon tank.  I heard it can cut catfish, so I went with play sand instead.  I might be able to get this stuff for free anyways, my Dad works with it,

dougie said:
I suppose a lot depends on stock list & how much time you've got for maintenance. You could mix black with another to darken the bottom but keep cost down a bit...
My stock list isn't complete yet, so far it's 9 glowlight tetras, 2 bolivian rams, 2 albino bn, 8-10 corys, and 8 black skirt tetras (maybe).  I've got plenty of time for maintenance lol.  Hmm, that could be interesting.  If I mixed black with play sand it might look neat.  I still have a bag of play sand from my 55 gallon.

ncguppy830 said:
play sands cheaper and effective
That's what I have right now, and it's not my favorite look.  Though it does give a more natural feel to the tank.

CJH0825 said:
I personally use pool filter sand in all my tanks. love the looks of it as it is brownish, have rocks stacked for caves. Very natural looking.
I've heard of some people doing this before, I'll have to look into it and see my options for that! 

Well I have been reading as much as possible about people using the Black Diamond blasting sand, and I can't find anybody who has had problems with catfish on it 
ohmy.png
 There are a few people who took a hand full out of the bag when they first got it, and decided against using it, though everyone said anything a little sharp was gone after rinsing.  A lot of people say that it is 100% catfish, and loach safe, and a few keep sand sifting cichlids on it as well with no trouble! Plus I've heard that it's good for growing live plants.
yahoo.gif
  I think I'm going to have to go with that.  If it does cause problems, it's only $8, not like it's $60 worth of sand I'll be throwing away.  I'll just use play sand if that happens.  Thanks for all the suggestions! :) 

Also I've decided on the valley aquascape (thanks to everybody who voted on the poll!), with some carpeting plants (I think I'm going to go with Dwarf Hairgrass), and lots of wood.  If I can find wood I like that is :)

My issue with fine sand and most all graded substrates is they give a unnatural look being so uniform. I always use a mix.

I'm thinking about putting up a journal for the tank, it's my biggest tank yet, and there a a few new things I'm trying with it! 
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back