Canister Filters?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah, personally I really dig canisters. Theyre especially nice if you fill them with live rock rubble, rowaphos, carbon and a nice big sponge filter. Clean that filter weekly/biweekly and it'll do a pretty great job of keeping your tank healthy.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if you HAD to have a sump. Every saltwater setup I've personally seen in real life has had a sump. I'd hate to spend big money on a canister filter for my "some day" upgrade and then find out when it finally comes time that it was a waste. :)

It's not that a sump is required, it's just that alot of people use them because they are a very efficient filtration system and hides most of your equipment. For a reef tank however, it is much more important to have a sump than in a fo or fowlr tank.

Sumps itself dont filter anything, its what you can put in the sump that you cant (more specifically wouldnt) put in the main tank that can act as filters.

If your gonna do a canister filter, dont bother with live rock rubble, just do a sponge and depending on how dirty it gets, id say clean it every 3-6 days. No need for bio-material though unless you dont have live rock in your main tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back