Canister Filter Question

CubanCorona

New Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2006
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey everyone,

I have an Eheim 2217 canister filter. I used to buy the Eheim flexible media bags and fill them with activated carbon, but I can't find the bags anymore.

I recently purchased online a new kind of media bag, but to my dismay, it's not flexible, and doesn't fit snugly in the canister. My concern is that the water will simply flow *around* the media bag and there won't be any filtration.

So, am I correct to be concerned about that? Does anyone have any good recommendations for media bags?

Thanks
 
Ladies stocking or tights can be used i believe, not that Ive tried it - yet :D
 
The bag you got is that the eheim one ?? eheim do a 2L bag for the 2217 part No. 7400008 £3.75 ish lfs had some net bags in cant rember the size/price tho
 
Any reason why you are running carbon? Its not needed unless there is a specific reason (either removal of meds or colourings) - better to run more bio filtration imo
 
I've used panty hose, and it's great...cheap too...
 
Great, thanks! I will try the panty hose.

@peter: I'm also running an Eheim wet/dry, so I figured that would provide enough bio filtration.

Plus, the carbon keeps the H2O crystal clear :D
 
Nothing really wrong with using carbon if you want to. Although I find it a waste of money and it should not be necessary to keep the water crystal clear. Only works for a couple of days anyway.

Either way, it doesn't matter.
 
Hmmm, well maybe I'll switch out the carbon for some biological media... didn't realize the consensus was against carbon.

Regardless, am I right to be concerned about the media bag not fitting snugly and allowing water to flow around it?
 
If you want crystal clear, I would:

First - Remove the carbon before your next water change, and observe the difference in appearance after 5 days.

And if there is a difference, one that you can notice and want to fix:

Second - Put Filter Floss in the filter


The floss will do the same, if not a better job, of cleaning the water, and its miles cheaper than carbon.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top