Candi River Gobies - Rhinogobius Candidianus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishprotector

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
This is the first time I have had Gobies, so for those who do not venture over to the loach section here are some pictures. I bought two Candi River Gobies yesterday (Rhinogobius Candidianus). They had been in the shop for over 5 months apparantly and I had been eyeing them up for a wee while. I think that there is a male around 2 inches long and a female of similar size who seems to be carrying eggs. They only had two left, or I may have got a second female.

Here are some pics for you to clarify the sex if possible...

The one that I think is a male:

DSC_0148.jpg

The one that I think is a female:

DSC_0144.jpg

A cute one of the male next to a P.Myersi:

DSC_0146.jpg

They seem to have settled in well up to now and have been exploring the tank and playing in the flow. The female feasted on bloodworm before and was even wrestling a minnow who ventured down there for some. Not seen the male eat yet though. They do seem to be very close to each other aswell.

For those of you who are not following my hillstream tank journal, my Gobies have now bred. The eggs have been removed for safe hatching. Video available in the loach section.

Lovely fish, I quite like gobies and gudgeons, they are full of personality and take notice if what's happening outside of their tanks. Will the babies need brackish water, or are they pure fresh water breeders?.

I have not been able to find anything confirming it either way. I can only find one article on them being bred before and that is in the pfk archives but the guy does not mention. I am guessing that they are a purely freshwater species as they come from cool mountain rivers, which must be miles away from the sea. The first eggs are almost ready to hatch though so we will see soon.

I have not been able to find anything confirming it either way. I can only find one article on them being bred before and that is in the pfk archives but the guy does not mention. I am guessing that they are a purely freshwater species as they come from cool mountain rivers, which must be miles away from the sea. The first eggs are almost ready to hatch though so we will see soon.

i have just bought 2 Rhinogobius candidianus. They are eating well currently a mix of brine shrimp,bloodworm and pellets. they are stunning little gobies. I'm pretty sure I have a male and female. the male has very colourful face stripes, the female looks extremely plump and has a blue belly.
they have settled into their tank nicely with the male taking up residence under a pile of rocks.. the female is not currently in residence anywhere preferring to play in the current. I'm hoping its a female i have and not a another immature male. I'm sure the belly is the give away but i guess I'll find out in time!
The tank temp is 20 c, I'm wondering If they could have any tank mates or whether to leave them to a species tank. Would the cold river butterfly loaches do well with them or some mountain minnows?
Any help with these little beauties would be appreciated

just to add the so called female (guessing because it's really plump and blue on the underside) which is a characteristic of females of this species also has cheek flashes :/ i'm sooo confused!!!! plus they were sold to me as rhinogobius candidianus but they are bluer than the ones that fishprotector has.they have the yellowish tint on the edge of the fins and blue bellies. the male is spotty too. Ive got some pics but they aren't very good. I will try and post some later.

just been watching the gobies. they like to "play" in the current at the top of the tank together. It looks like they nudge each other one way and then the other and then the "male" will go back to his cave.... any ideas what's going on?

Sounds like they are getting ready to breed now. They will most likely disappear into the cave the male has made very shortly after playing in the flow. Mine have bred twice since I got them. I have also realised that mine are rhinogobius rubromaculatus. Check out my temperate tank thread to see how mine are doing if you are interested...

Sounds like they are getting ready to breed now. They will most likely disappear into the cave the male has made very shortly after playing in the flow. Mine have bred twice since I got them. I have also realised that mine are rhinogobius rubromaculatus. Check out my temperate tank thread to see how mine are doing if you are interested...
thanks for this :) I shall pop over and take a look :)

wow you are doing well with your gobies :) i found this site...http://www.aquatax.de/Gobiidae_Grundeln/Rhinogobius_candidianus/ this shows the male and female candi river gobies. This is deffinatly what I have :)botht he male and female have the nose stripe of red... looks like only the male has the blue cheek flash. the female has a very deep blue tummy like the one in the website (but alot darker)

wow you are doing well with your gobies :) i found this site...http://www.aquatax.de/Gobiidae_Grundeln/Rhinogobius_candidianus/ this shows the male and female candi river gobies. This is deffinatly what I have :)botht he male and female have the nose stripe of red... looks like only the male has the blue cheek flash. the female has a very deep blue tummy like the one in the website (but alot darker)
ok just a quick uodate.... the female IS a female.... she has started to expel eggs. They are hanging out of her at the moment and the male is dancing around her.... i'm getting excited now!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back