Canadian Members, petition for fish medication sales

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Apparently the Canadian government is/has followed the UK lead in illegalizing certain fish medications. A petition to reverse this has been started on change.org and can be signed here [I don't think this is restricted to Canadian residents so anyone can sign]:

That's the usual reason. For example, in the UK antibiotics are only available on prescription whether it's for human or other animal use. We can treat our fish with antibiotics if we can find a vet who will write a prescription, we just can't buy them over the counter.

I would guess it's a response to the misuse/overuse of antibiotics. This is causing a rise in antibiotic resistant bacteria which is a big threat to health, animal and human, and also a threat to food supplies.

Apparently the Canadian government is/has followed the UK lead in illegalizing certain fish medications. A petition to reverse this has been started on change.org and can be signed here [I don't think this is restricted to Canadian residents so anyone can sign]:

Done!

Also done, as I'm from UK myself I can safely say it's stupid.

asking a vet for antibiotics for fish always gets a raised eyebrow, many vets have no idea what they're talking about as the vast majority of people will look for guides on the net. I know thats what it's like where I'm from, in fact fish keeping is not very big here in my area (not to a decent standard anyway). Nine times out of ten you'll be rejected antibiotics because the vet doesn't have the knowledge to prescribe the right ones, even if you say the exact medication you need they wont do it in fear of making a mistake and being classed as a liability.

Also signed, this stuff is important. While I understand the reasoning behind the restrictions, it's gone too far when it makes it impossible to save your fish that you know could survive if given a medication freely available in other countries.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back