Can Tiger Barbs go in a planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PhunFishGuy

Reaction score
OK... I have a few questions for you guys (the experts):
1. Can I put tiger barbs in my planted tank?
2. Will cory cats eat the plants?
3. Is it true that otto cats will eat algae off the plants without eating the plants?
4. What liquid additives do you guys reccomend using? (right now I am using
aqua. pharm. pure lateralite as a substrate)

1. Yes, I have a heavily planted tiger barb species tank.

2. No, Cories do not eat plants in my experience.

3. Ottos will eat some types of algae and do not damage the plants.

4. I only use root tabs at the moment so I can not comment on liquid ferts.

Now, also in my experience, my tiger barbs liked nipping and chasing both my cories and my ottos so that is why they have their own tank by themselves. My ottos and cories get along great with each other.

All barbs like a bit of vegetable matter in their diet, put some shelled peas in and watch. That said, Tiger Barbs are not serious plant eaters. I would have no qualms about putting them in a planted tank.

Cory's don't eat plants.

Yes, Otto's are frequently used to control small algae problems. They will not eat all algae types, and cannot clear a hopelessly out of balance algae explosion.

I have used Tetra and Seachem liquid trace elements, but have used my "own brew" for the last 10 years or so.

Tiger Barbs are great fish for a planted tank; they love to hide in and around plants. They are also pretty active, so you need to give them some swimming room, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Yenko said:
Tiger Barbs are great fish for a planted tank; they love to hide in and around plants. They are also pretty active, so you need to give them some swimming room, but that shouldn't be a problem.
In my species tank, I have 12 tigers at the moment. They are so much fun to watch chasing each other through the plants like they are in a jungle. You are right, they seem to love it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back