Can this cause nitrIte readings......

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

skimpy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had an emergency with my pump it was not pumping out hardly anything. The lfs gave me a new pump and when I tried that it was the same.

The box the filters, heater and pump sit in was blocked hence the pump could not suck properly (Jewel Rekord Tank Filter Box).

To unblock this I had to remove all the filters, heater and pump and clean inside the black box - then put all the filters, heater and pump back in place - This caused a lot of mess and gunge media from the filters to be swimming round in the tank, but the pump is now working properly and will the tank is clearing very quickly. :p

My question is that I've have just done the water parameters and the NitrIte is at 0.25 - can this type of disruption to the filter box cause the NitrIte to go up. If so does that mean that it will settle again later. ???? (I have never had NitrIte go up since cycling and I have not had an ammonia rise. I have been testing daily recently so i'm sure I would have noticed)

I can't do a water change at the moment because I have meds in tank and the fish need the medication. (treating for internal bacteria) :/
Would 0.25 be ok to leave as long as I check it does not rise any further. :/

Ok its a couple of hours later and I've just done another water test now the tank looks clear again. The NitrIte is showing 0 again :S

This is obviously not urgent now, even though in this section :blush: (sorry)

If someone could confirm if they have experienced anything like this i would appreciate it.

You have just come across the huge problem with the otherwise good juwel filter system, its difficult to clean the filter housing and so collects a LOT of organic debrie. When the filter is slowed by the debrie it restricts oxygen flow to the filter media which causes the bacteria colonies to start to die off, with a reduced colony there is not enough to cope with the bio load of the tank and the ammonia and nitrite levels rise. Once normal water flow is returned the bacteria multiply quickly and take care of the increased levels.

I suggest removing all media and giving the inside of the box a good clean with the syphon at least every three months to prevent a reoccurence.

Thanks CFC

My tank has been running 4 months now and I had not cleaned the housing (cos I didn't know). :/ (It's not in the instruction book)

I have had one fish die recently and others ill which has turned out to be internal bacteria which I have treated. Then it seemed that my pump was not working. I know the pump was down to the blocked housing because when i cleared the housing the pump was great and I'm now beginning to realise that perhaps all my recent problems have resulted from this, its obviously been slowly clogging up more and more over the 4 months.

Well hopefully back on track now, with more experience under my belt and now I know I will make sure the housing is kept clean in the future.

:nod: Thanks for that - it's nice to have a reason, or know why, when fish have been ill

:cool:

Most reactions

Back