Can Someone Please Help A Bit With Layout?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've painted the outside of the glass whilst fish are in before (and the room a few times), as a precaution I would maybe cover the top (if you don't have a hood), open windows and have a fan blowing away from the tank towards the window to vent any fumes.

If you're painting the glass it goes without saying make sure it's very clean (surgical spirits is ideal) and dry. Tile paint is very thick and does drip when applied to glass but the internal effect is brilliant and smooth even if the outside looks melted :)

It's lucky that the outside is against a wall! :lol: Okay, I think I might try for that. It has a hood but obviously has gaps for cables. How long can a tank be covered before the intake runs out of decent air to use? I would imagine that it would take a long time for the paint to dry in cold, damp Scotland.

I'm in cold damp Aberdeen and my tile paint was touch dry in a couple of hours. You'll probably have to do two coats and it's best to shine a torch through to find the thinnest bits. Once you're happy move the tank back even if it's still wet and things will be fine. If you're wanting to be super cautious use a fan or open windows to get a draft going to vent any vapours outside but I honestly don't see it as an issue as tile paint is lead free and designed to be waterproof so doesn't leach anything and the vapours dissipate quickly.

That sounds good enough for me! :D Thank you! I don't really want to open the window in the coldest room of the house, so I guess I will see how it feels when painting.

I am so rubbish at this. :lol: I took two hours and kept coming up with perfect tetris arrangements. My brain is just too organised for this sort of thing. This picture is awful because I am still looking for my camera battery, and there was a lot of sand disturbance. We have chucked the background that came with the tank on for now, but it will be black eventually. The slate at the front is just me trying to get an idea of where some of the riccia will go (I will be using it as an anchor). I think I will have enough to cover most of the front, though, and maybe can get it on some of the less blended rocks.

Help again? :blush:

580407_10152130093125251_1262306340_n.jpg

IMO there's still 'too much going on' with regards to the different types of wood and different rocks. I'm more into using one type of each material.

As you're using slate as an anchor I personally would just use slate and then either the dark bogwood or the lighter branch stuff but not together.

This is all just my opinion of what I would do if it were my tank, it's not a criticism of what you're doing as everyone likes different things :)

All of the wood is the same, it is just at different angles so catching the light differently, or a bit more stripped from the previous pleco. The slate will be completely covered in riccia, so you won't see that it is slate. The huge rock annoys me a bit (the one with the holes drilled in it), but the fish love it so I am trying to figure out how to disguise it with plant growth or something. It is massive and a nice rock, but I don't really know what to do with it. That leaves the two pieces of lava rock, which are probably the most out of place. The lava rock is the red one to the right, and the lighter thing similar in colour to the big drilled rock in the middle of the wood (being used as a prop now). I guess I could get rid of the lava rock, if it wouldn't be feasible to cover it in riccia to hide what it is.

This is my wifes tank that I'm doing at the moment. There's a load of african broad leaf silk plants to go in both corners. Also the rock on top of the bogwood will be between the two pieces of wood with plants behind it (it's on top of the wood to help it become waterlogged). Gives you some idea of what I like anyway :)
20121002_221247.jpg

Try just using the wood as the main focal point and the one drilled rock on its own with planting around it?

That is really nice! I do want to use all of my wood because I like very wooded tanks and want the tannins to leak into it. I want to sort of fill the tank eventually (not with wood - this will be all I get unless I find an incredible piece). I am having trouble of letting go of the rock because I have nothing else to do with it. The big one that looks artificial with the drills is a really nice piece, but it doesn't fit in, I do realise.

It may fit in if it is on its own (or get another) as a small focal point. It just looks 'odd' because it's not a natural shape, etc. so when placed with natural rock it stands out.

It is enormous. I was trying really hard to place it so it wasn't so obvious, but not doing very well. I have been stubborn with it so far because the fish appreciate zipping in and out of its holes, but maybe I need to let go. Or put it flat and then they can just poke their heads down in the holes to the sand. Or something.

If it's big and cant be hidden then make the most of it, make it a feature especially if the fish love it.

Make a distinct gap between the wood and the rock and it may well work.

I can try! I just don't know how to do so with the wood as well. Opposite end of the tank? I can stand it up like a big monolith, I guess. I thought about that but wasn't sure about making two high points.

I would try the wood arranged on one side (maybe the filter side?) and then a distinct gap and then the decorative rock. You could plant high stuff behind the wood 'pile' and in the opposite corner behind the rock, medium height stuff in front (and inside?) the wood pile and low growing stuff in the gap between the wood and rock and in front of the rock :)

Most reactions

trending

Back