Can someone help me out with identifying and possibly evicting this silly white fuzz on my cholla wood?

tabletopfishguy

Reaction score
Recently I built a 10 Gallon planted tank using some left over cholla wood and some substrate from old builds. A couple of them have this fuzzy clear ish moldy looking stuff on it, any ideas what it is/how to get rid of it. Im not super attached to the cholla logs (neither is that baby water fern) so taking it out wouldn’t be an issue but id like to keep it if possible.
image.jpg
It also seems to be growing on the lower portion of a leaf stem on another water fern, Could use some help!! im hoping to stock it sometime around christmas time if everything goes well.

It’s biofilm, and totally normal/harmless. It‘ll go away in time, or, if you have shrimp/snails/otos, it’ll become a much-appreciated snack. Or just take it out and scrub it with a toothbrush.

It’s biofilm, and totally normal/harmless. It‘ll go away in time, or, if you have shrimp/snails/otos, it’ll become a much-appreciated snack. Or just take it out and scrub it with a toothbrush.
I figured as much!! Thank you, I just wanted to get some input from others, Once I get good reads on my tests otos/amano or cherry shrimp were on the possible stock list alongside some type of smaller cory. (obviously not planning on adding all 3 just one of them). Thanks for the help!!

Hello table. There's typically a fungus that collects on new wood pieces. If you get some Rams Horn snails, they'll remove it pretty quickly. Snails are an excellent cleaning crew and benefit a tank if they're not allowed to reproduce too quickly. If they do, you're feeding your fish too much.

Hello table. There's typically a fungus that collects on new wood pieces. If you get some Rams Horn snails, they'll remove it pretty quickly. Snails are an excellent cleaning crew and benefit a tank if they're not allowed to reproduce too quickly. If they do, you're feeding your fish too much.

Same thing goes for old pieces of wood? These Cholla wood pieces are from an old tank that I tore down due to being to busy for so I donated the inhabitants to my trusted lfs. I haven’t had this fungus grow from these pieces before but it would make sense if it formed or accumulated while it was drying.

Don't scrub it, Only siphon the excess if it becomes too thick. Anyway it's going to come back until the nutrients that it uses becomes depleted. Then it will go away on it's own.

I started a small tank 1 month ago, used an old Piece of Mopani wood that was in a tank for many years before...

I had to cut a part of the piece for it to fit it the tank. Now I have a small bunch growing on the place where the new cut was made, while the rest remains untouched. Probably because I exposed new nutrients to the surface.

I find this appears on every new or dried piece of wood. It's a bacteria, not a fungus, and it usually pops up for a short period. Some biofilms get large and stringy, which upsets people, but you just have to let them run through their cycle. As other bacteria become established, they fall back in the competition. Not only is this a great hobby, but you even have slime come out to greet your driftwood.

Most reactions

Back