can my clown loach question go here?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

impur

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently picked up 3 clown loaches at my lfs. they had them for over a month and 2 of the ones i got are fat and well fed. The other is a bit small. Well i have them in my 55 gal tank, all parameters are optimal ammonia = 0 nitrites < .1p/ml and nitrates = 0 ph = 7.4. So they have been in the tank since sunday. The smallest guy swims everywhere, even with the danios i have at the top. He must thing he is a danio heh, and he eats plenty. One of the bigger guys comes out but is rather timid and hides when i come to the tank. The 3rd one is probably the biggest, at best 2", but has not come out from under their rock yet. I am not sure at night, but during the day it stays under there. I don't know if its getting food or not. Is this normal for these guys? I have had them in the past and never had one do this. Any help is appreciated.

Give them time, plenty of it. They're most likely reacting differently to being in a new, different environment. Working in a fish store I know how much different a shop and a house can be for these guys. There are always plenty of noises and shadows and activity in a shop that some fish funnily enough get used to, especially when they have been there for several weeks/a few months. You will find that these guys will settle down but, bear in mind, some fish can have different personalities, same as people. :)

As Gibbo says they should get better with a bit of time....

.....also ensure there are plenty of hiding places for them as they like to dart from one to another :S

If they still dont get any braver then you could try adding another 1-2 as they are a shoaling species and would imo do better in a slightly larger group ;)

:)

The shy one is already coming out more. Darts back to their cave when i approach the tank but i can spy around the corner and it comes out with the other 2. I was just a bit quick to worry i guess. :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back