Can Mosquito Fish crossbreed with Guppies?

All sorts of problems can arise from nutrient deficiency to Nervouse system imbalances to malformed skelital systems to heart problems. Hybrids sometimes face more problems than there parents

I'd just like to point out that whether endlers and guppies are the same species is debatable. They occured in the same area in the wild but did not inter-breed. they were never assigned a species name but, if I remember correctly, that had to do with the person who was going to name them dying before he did so or something like that - and no-one did anything about it afterwards.

Genus, it is true, doesn't necessarily determine whether fish can inter-breed but most species are placed in the same genus if they are closely related. That is, after all, the whole point of classification - to show the relationship between different species and also seperate them and destinguish between them. As such, most fish placed in the same genus are closely related and many can inter-breed. Examples are many cichlids, gouramies in the genus colisa (dwarfs with honeys) and trichogaster (pearls with three-spots) and livebearers (guppies with mollies or endlers and, less confusingly, swordtails with platies). Just wanted to make this clear.

Feeder guppies and fancy guppies and wild guppies and Endlers are all the same species

That isnt necesarily true, Endlers have not been classified yet, the jury is still out. It is likely they are an isolated population of guppy which has diverged quite a bit.

Prof. John Endler considers them seperate and f1 hybrids are usually sterile.

I going to attemt to breed my Metallic Live-bearer (Girardinus Metallicus) With guppies.

It will be a male guppy and female metallic, the female where born last months, the male was balt last tuesday.

will let you know what happens.

Opcn said:
Genuses are man made and have no bearing on hybridisation, as a general rule individuals of two seperate species will not interbreed Genus is useually a good indicator of genetic difference but not always.
What? Some of what you say almost makes sense but not really. Yes genus are man made but they are man made definitions of the families and relationships between species. Sometimes these are wrong but they are usually right.

No species can breed outside its genus. It doesn't happen. If the guppy (Poecilia reticulata) tried to breed with the mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis or Gambusia holbrooki) nothing would happen. It would be like a dog trying to breed with a fox. Or a pigeon trying to breed with a cockatiel. They could hump to their hearts content but nothing would happen.

there are exceptions to that rule, SOMETIMES species within a genus can hybridise, MOST of the time they cant, SOMETIMES species can breed outside of there genus, MOST of the time they cant, hence genus has no bearing because there are ample exceptions, ever heard of a jelly bean parrot or a marble tailed catfish among rodentia there are multitudes of genuses that can hybridise, and how about danios, Brachidanios and danios often hybridise. These are cases in which genus has no bearing, just like everywhere else, its a good pointer but in the end its just a name on a slip of paper and while it reflects a greater difference than say the difference between species within those genuses there are numerus cases in which two genuses are more closely related then two species in the same genus. Its a good rule of thumb but not a litmus test its not like this was all stamped apon the earth nature has many excentricities and lineus was just trying to represent the wonderful diversity in two dimensions but in a world where every being is geneticly uniqueits just not cut and dried.

Also there are fox dog hybrids, there just infertile.

What makes you think that crossing a guppy and mosquito fish would be great if a guppy/molly cross results in unhealthy offspring? Assuming it were possible I doubt the offspring would have any fewer birth defects than the muppy/golly hybrids

actually,i crossbred guppy and mosquito fish , and the offspring is healthy.and all of the offspring survived so it can be crossbred. your only problem is how long do they breed because mine took about 2 months.

I have a red Guppy male with three wild Mosquito females and im curious to know if it is possible for them to breed. I also wanted to know if Mollies really can breed with Guppies. A response would be great! :blink:
Yes you can but i recommend brackish water for them to beed in.. helps with some health issues beside they live in brackish water and the wild anyways

I have a red Guppy male with three wild Mosquito females and im curious to know if it is possible for them to breed. I also wanted to know if Mollies really can breed with Guppies. A response would be great! :blink:
Yes they can without forcing them. I breed the guppy males to the mosquito females. They were overall very hardy breed. Rarely got sick. Just let the water go down in your tank a bit then add fresh water with extra food and that should stimulate them. The males really didn't view my females any different. I finally got a really colorful and hardy fish. I don't have them anymore had to give them away when I go married.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back