can it be done?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
Is it possible to have a closed system (figure of speech) from a food standpoint? For example, having a brine shrimp colony in the main brackish tank, but for freshwater. This would be pretty cool imo, and I can't see any problems. Thanks in advance.

Well, not really. The water for brine shrimp is much saltier than brackish water. Daphnia can 'live' in fresh water, however, any 'food' in the tank is typically quickly consumed by the fish so they just can't reproduce and be sustainable. One exception might be a fry tank where large adult daphnia (like red russian) are too large to be eaten by the fry, but the baby daphnia are fair game...however, providing a food source for the adult daphnia might be an issue.
Best served to culture live foods and feed appropriately. There are many articles about culturing live foods on my Blog if you're interested.

Can you elaborate a little more on what you are thinking?
So you know how in marine tanks you can have like living food sources in the main tank (phytoplankton, copepods, etc.)? Is that possible with freshwater, meaning are there any organisms that can reproduce and still be a consistent source of food in a freshwater main tank with fish?

So you know how in marine tanks you can have like living food sources in the main tank (phytoplankton, copepods, etc.)? Is that possible with freshwater, meaning are there any organisms that can reproduce and still be a consistent source of food in a freshwater main tank with fish?
Guppies :whistle:

Just a note the fresh water equivalent of brine shrimp are called fairy shrimp. They tend to live in seasonal pond without fish. IF you do a google search you might be able to find a place selling them.

Just a note the fresh water equivalent of brine shrimp are called fairy shrimp. They tend to live in seasonal pond without fish. IF you do a google search you might be able to find a place selling them.
Interesting. Thanks :).

I mean I am sure there are some freshwater gamarids which could be possible and maybe some others in more tropical climes. But as AD says you'll probably get a high level of predation eliminating the population.

The only really reason why it work in marine tanks is the large surface areas of the rock where there is plenty of space for hiding, but even then a mandarin can clean the whole tank out if there isn't enough rock.
It's easier for you as a hobbyist to separate out these into their own cultures so you can maintain a good supply

I mean I am sure there are some freshwater gamarids which could be possible and maybe some others in more tropical climes. But as AD says you'll probably get a high level of predation eliminating the population.

The only really reason why it work in marine tanks is the large surface areas of the rock where there is plenty of space for hiding, but even then a mandarin can clean the whole tank out if there isn't enough rock.
It's easier for you as a hobbyist to separate out these into their own cultures so you can maintain a good supply
Ye I'll probably just get a 10 gallon for raising brine shrimp, and then use it as a QT when need be.

I admire your thinking young Holdenon me lad but this is one of those things that would be common knowledge if possible. Everyone would be doing it.
Unless of course the fish food manufacturers are sending hit squads every time it gets mentioned on the internet. Be careful out there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back