can i use the same hood?

longhorn13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i've got the basic 10g and hood with incandescent lights. i want to try a planted tank, so i'm guessing i'm going to need fluorescent(?) lights. can i just get different bulbs, or do i have to get a whole new hood setup? thanks for any help! i want to learn on this tank, so when i get a bigger one i can do my best to make it a jungle (i want that "have to really look for the fish" look)

I don't think the lights that come with a 10g hood are going to be strong enough for the results you want. Plus I've heard people have less luck with incandescents, but I don't have any experience with them.

It might be a long answer if incandescent is to be used.

but getting new fluorescent light setup into your hood it might be easier

I have tried every cheap light there is to try and replace propper fluorescent tubes.. but you'll need a lot of info on the plant you what to keep to know if they will survive..

I would get two of the all glass compact fluorescent bulbs with screw sockets. They are around $8 each and can plug into the incandescent fixture. That way you won't need to buy a new fixture. The All-Glass Mini Power Compact Fluorescent Lamp- 10 Watt is on sale right now from BigAlsonline.com for only $6!! two of those would be equivalent to 40 watts of fluorescent light for your ten gallon tank. That's four watts per gallon. You could have nearly any plant with those.

thanks pescado, i was hoping there were some fluorescent bulbs i could fit into my existing hood, now if i can just find those bulbs local b/f i have to go to the website

This might be a strange answer, but I've been using a regular desk lamp with a 40watt bulb on my 10 gallon and my plants are exploding. I got a few stray panes of glass for a cover. All is well so far!

Most reactions

Back