Can I Add Kuhlis

Lacuna

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 8, 2009
Messages
349
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
Hi there. I have a 48 litre tank (Interpet fish pod) with a betta and 9 pygmy corys. The tank began fishless cycling in August and I started to add fish at the beginning of October. Tank readings have been good with no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate is usually just under 10 before my weekly water change. I have a Fluval 2 internal with flow turned down. I love the look of kuhli loaches and would like to add a few, but would I be overstocked? AqAdvisor says it would be okay :D . I don't want to overdo it though. If I can add some, how many would be okay?

Many thanks
 
I think you'd be fine to add some in there, i have 9 in my 35litre (although they have this pretty much to themselves mind) they prefer larger numbers so i'd say start with 6 and see how you go, you can always add a few more if you want to, they max out at around 10cm a piece fully grown :good:
 
Okay thanks, I'll add some and see how they go. I don't think I'd want more than 6, but I know they like to be in groups. I've heard that they're not too much strain on the bioload. There's some on offer at my LFS so I'll probably pick some up tomorrow. Cheers.
 
you should be fine to add 6. they do indeed add very little bioload. make sure you have a few hidey holes for them. and watch at feeding time to make sure the cories arent getting all the food (kulhis can be pretty shy fish). feeding them at night may help but not necessarily as the cories are active then too. see how it goes. just make sure they get enough food.
cheers!!!
 
Thanks, I've already added 3! I'll probably get some more next weekend if the stats remain good. They're going bonkers at the moment, swimming against the current right at the front of the tank. I've heard they're shy... hmmmm. Luckily the betta and corys are weirdly not bothered and don't seem to mind the flying fish. My betta didn't even flare at them when they were in the bag.

I think they will be fun to watch. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top