Can Gouramis Stop Growing If

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

for a different "type" of fish to become a new species, there would have to be so many tiny changes between the new and the old that the new fish can't possibly begin to interbreed back into the old. you won't be able to create that many changes in an aquarium because (1) it would take hundred of years and (2) it would take hundreds of fish that have the same genetic mutation.

all feet have "soles", ;) but you're right. most interpretations of the Bible indicate that animals don't have "souls". but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't love and take care of the animals. according to the Bible, God created Adam and his children so that they could be good stewards of the world (which is a fancy way of saying that God wants people to take good care of animals and the environment). of course, just because animals don't have souls like what people have doesn't mean that animals don't have some other spiritual aspect that we have don't have a word for. (that sentence was very poorly worded :crazy:)

and it's totally possible to believe in God (or be a Christian/Jew/Muslim) and also believe in Evolution. :thumbs: there are remarkable parallels between the Biblical description of creation and current scientific theories on creation. many Christians believe that God said "let there be a Big Bang" and there was. ;) God also created plants before animals, fish and birds before mammals, and made man after everything else. as a Christian and as a student of science, it doesn't seem reasonable to expect that God would have sat down a couple of Jewish scribes 5,000 years ago and started explaining about astrophysics and E=mc^2. there just wasn't the right scientific background (as in "any") at the time and so people wouldn't have understood. heck, most people barely understand these theories now. (besides that's not how i believe the Bible was written, but that's a different discussion and not appropriate for TFF now that General Chat is gone :nod:)

in summary:
(1) no, you aren't going to be able to breed a new species into existence
(2) some people don't believe that animals have souls, but they still love animals anyways
(3) you can believe in the Bible and believe in Evolution

First to say that we share about 98% of our genome with chimps and that, though I'm not sure of the figure, we certainly do share a lot with bananas too :) BTW, there are no big jumps in evolution. If there are any at all, they are very few and far between (by which I mean millions of years between ;)). Big changes are only rarely useful - to, inaccurately, quote someone or other (can't remember who right now :p) - "There are many more ways of being dead (or not alive rather) than of being alive." the majority of mutations are either harmful or have no effect. Only a tiny fraction are useful and, of those, even smaller a fraction cause huge changes.
Secondly, we did not evolve from chimps (a common misconception) - we and chimps both evolved from a common anscestor. Just incase you didn't realise that :) Also, lots of animals use tools - not even just apes. Many birds do too for example.
The fish-related things pica-nuttalli summed up in a sentence :)

Now on the subject of religion and souls :p This, I feel, isn't the place to debate this so I won't start anything like that up - but I'll state my views. I don't believe in a god, you are right, I'm atheist. I also don't believe animals have souls (humans are animals too - we are 'great apes' just like gorillas, chimps etc). However, I respect other peoples' beliefs as long as they don't affect me.
I have to say that I don't usualy feel religion and science can work together - but I'd realy rather not discuss this topic here. I do think some people manage to balance the two but you need to make adjustments to one or the other to do so first.

Sorry that I type a lot lol! It's a terrible habit...

typeing a lot is a coool habit 8) .........sighs trys to think of some thing to say :huh: ..gouramis are cool :good:
hmmmm we just got day light saveings here i wonder if the fish no :p ........hmmm can you teach fish tricks ?

:p I doubt they notice the clocks changing but they can certainly react to changes in their lighing schedule. I was actualy watching a bunch of tetras dose off the other day when I added another hour of light to their day :p They were losing their color and being swept around a bit. Then they'd 'wake up', regaining their color and swimming like normal again. I'd have liked to have seen what they were like in the morning - but I'm not much of an early riser ;)

I've 'trained' ´ll my fish to come to the front of the tank when I tap gently on the hood. It+s easy to do - just tap a few times every time you feed. Most fish come to the front when they see you anyway but this is effective even with those (like cories) that don't. It makes catching or counting fish far easier.

I also get all my gouramies to agree to being hand fed though this can depend on the temperament of the individual fish, as well as your patience.

i went in to the pet store to buy one of them all most buckett sized flak fish food buckett :drool: cuz i ran out a week ago and seeing as each time i run out i have to make a trip to albany and i only got the time yesterday i think i herd a few complaints :shout: comeing from the tank the last week i have other food for them as well but they like this best its a typ thats good for there color as well so they are nice and bright :hey: ................i am going to get a fish tank for xmas cuz i cant help my self when i see a good looking gourami i want it ..........i saw a realy nice looking striped one swimming rownd :fish: so i got it....it was realy just a normal blue one that was ether mad or trying to chat up a chick :rolleyes: and so that add anuther male to the tank .....if it was a female it would not have been a realy big error but as it is i now have evan more males and its not realy any difrent from the other male of the blue color i all ready had oh well at least its a nice size...alll gouramis look good but i was looking for some thing to breed so i failed..........oh well at least when it wants to breed it gos dark and has stripes but thats normal right

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back