Can Fish Actually See Out Of The Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

monto

Reaction score
have there been studies about what fish (pleccys, mollies, guppies, etc) can see when they look out of the tank through the glass

i mean, i know they can see 'something' as they know when i am close to the tank as they get excited

but, for example, if i am eating my dinner can they see me eating my dinner? how far can they see?

sometimes i put my finger up against the glass and they go nuts and try to nip it through the glass. this isnt cruel is it?

ps. i know my questions are wierd ^_^

Unless you let the fish go hungry, I see no problem with mildly taunting them. Heck, cichlids are especially fun to taunt, since it ends up in a feeding frenzy (no, I never fed live food).

Not sure how far or well they can see. However... even if you knew how far away and well a fish could see, you would be able to get a good feel of how far out of the tank they can see if you decided to immerse your head and see for yourself. *Disclaimer* I do not technically advise that you do this, of course :wink:

Hmm, I suppose that's all the input I have... though I am almost certain that there is a significant correlation between the adult size of a fish and it's ocular capacities.

Say you look through the front of your tank onto the side of it, and you put your hand against it, you dont see your hand, you see the part that touches the glass - The side looks like a mirror. I think the fish go nuts and try to nip through the glass because they see our fingertips against the glass - probably think its food.. Does this make sence lol? :S

ceejay i know theres that wierd mirror affect but im thinking it doesnt affect fish as they can see me if i am close to the tank but not actually touching it

Yes but that's at an angle through 2 panes of glass and some water. Hence the mirror effect. The fish, in theory, are looking straight out through just 1 pane of glass so there will be no mirror effect.

As for fish sight...I guess it could depend on light conditions. Imagine you're sat in a car and you've got all the lights on inside, and you look out of the window and it's dark. You can't really see alot.
But the person looking into the car can see you clearly. (The person in the car = the fish)

And also there's the water clarity...we can see through the water from a greater distance away because the water is 100% clear. Unless you're water is 100% crystal then this would have an impact.

Then there is generally how good a fishes eye sight is.

I don't have any facts or medical studies to hand. That's just my theory on what would affect the fishes ability to see us.

Say you look through the front of your tank onto the side of it, and you put your hand against it, you dont see your hand, you see the part that touches the glass - The side looks like a mirror. I think the fish go nuts and try to nip through the glass because they see our fingertips against the glass - probably think its food.. Does this make sence lol? :S

Actually this effect only occurs if you look through the side panel - if you look through an aadjascent panel (for example the opposite side of the tank) you see straight through. And if you put your head in the tank (may as well just take my word for it though...) you will be able to see clearly through all panels!

All due to refraction.

But to answer the original question yes fish can see through the glass and they (mostly) have supurb eyesight, particularly good at tracking fast moving objects. Their depth of field is poor though. For most fish everything is a bit of a blur after a few feet.

So they may not be able to see you eating your dinner - but walk past the tank and a hungry fish will catch on and follow no problems :)

My cichlids follow me across the room in their tank and that would be about 10 feet away.

They also rush to the top or bottom of the tank whenever I stand up or sit down :lol:

My cichlids follow me across the room in their tank and that would be about 10 feet away.

They also rush to the top or bottom of the tank whenever I stand up or sit down :lol:
Mine do the same thing! :lol:

And when I grab the food container, they all rush to the top of the tank and huddle in a little begging group! :lol:

They are cute!

-FHM

Generally* Faster swimming fish have better eyesight - I guess they had to evolve that way, imagine driving at 60mph and only being able to see a few feet in front!!

Cichlids can be amazing. Try holding up an object similar in colour and shape to the food tub...

*Sits n thinks how sad we all seem to un-fishy people*

Though I have to agree, the fish see me n take a mild interest. The fish see the food pot and they're straight up... they honestly do know. Which does make me wonder if they see colours... I guess they don't though?

Though I have to agree, the fish see me n take a mild interest. The fish see the food pot and they're straight up... they honestly do know. Which does make me wonder if they see colours... I guess they don't though?
:lol:

It is true though, people who have an interest with the out doors/animals and what not, are over all healthier people!

-FHM

They see colours (as in different colours) but are by our standards mostly colour blind. Unable to see red for instance. Hence the use of red coloured fish nets (although utterly pointless as the fish will react to the water disturbanc of the net instantly anyway).

oh i reckon they can deffo see thru the glass and recognise people.. oscars anyway, jambo used to go nuts as soon as i walked into the lounge, if a starnger did he didnt fuss...but then he was a very extrodinary fish :p. but honestly yes i do think they can, infact im convinced

get in a big tank and find out

get in a big tank and find out

Well I own this tank

081.JPG

And I have been inside it full of water. And yes you can see out.

Getting out is more difficult than seeing out actually...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back