Can Different Birchir Species Live Together?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dbanner

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As the title says really... Is it possible for different birchirs to live together without attacking or killing each other?

For example... would it be possible to have say 1 Senegal, 1 delhezi and 1 ornate together if all were purchased around the same time and were the same size? Or 1 ornate and 2 delhezi's? And so on

Iv had the thought of a birchir species tank for a while now but think it would be boring with just say 3 senegals or just 2 of another type

Cool, thanks. Yeah the two iv seen (ornate and delhezi) are exactly the same size as my Senegal :)

Iv got 2 senegals in the tank now. I want 1 ornate and 1 delhezi to go with them. Do you think I should rehome 1 of the senegals of would I be ok to keep the 2? (no other tank mates)

2 are fine. Bichirs tend to be somewhat social in my experience. You'll eventually need a 100+ gal tank for them.

Hi.
Most Bichirs can live with each other.
It is a size thing though, so it is better to keep lower jaw (Endlicheri, Congicus, Lapradie, Bichir Bichir Ansorgii etc) separate from upper jaw (Delhezi, Senegalus Palmas etc)

Though there are 3 species of upper jaw that I would not keep with other upper jaws, and that is Ornates, Weeksii, and Teugelsi.
They all get to around the same size as the bigger lower jaws, and Ornates especially get very nasty as they grow, and its not uncommon for them to try to eat fish almost their own size!

Thanks gasmask, I know how much experience and knowledge you have with predatory species so it means a lot to get your opinion (as well as other members)

I have the money for my new 6x2x2 tank and stand from nd aquatics. I just haven't got the money for the filters, substrate and decor yet. I also need to make room for the new tank. I have an open play living and dining room so I wanted to rearrange the room and have the tank in the middle of the 2 rooms so it will be a divider of the rooms. Just for to persuade the other half lol

My plan is to have a tank with senegals and delhezis in my rio 400 and then put the ornate in the new tank and work the stock around him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
  • Essjay
Back