Can anyone suggest a good plant for

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Rob_G

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have had my tank set up since march and have had swordtails, guppies and platies in there. I do have the correct ratio of male to female eg 1 male to 2 or 3 females for each type and have seen swollen bellies and gravid spots and i have seen the bellies go down again - but no fry, not a single one have i seen.

So i guess they are getting chomped -or the female aborted due to unfavourable conditions ???

So can anyone tell me a good plant/s to get that are fine and bushy enough for the fry to survive in ? I have amazon sword at the moment which is too big and gappy.

Many thanks,

Rob

Hornwort, Java Moss, and you could try some Water Lettuce. I added Water letuce to my tanks not long ago. It multiplies quickly and has many long roots that grow into the water to give the fry lots of hiding spaces.

Java Moss is awesome. Plastic Cabomba closely bunched in graduating heights to the surface works great - preferrably all along the back of the tank. I also use what they call 'Plant Mats', which can be floated plant side down for a great fry hider. (I just typed most of this in another thread, so anyone who has read both will have to forgive me.)

You can make a fry saver using unrolled plastic pot scrubbers with something in each end to hold it open - the fry get in the mesh but the adults can't. I use those little half-size cola bottles to hold mine open.

Thanks all for your advice. Shall have fry hiding places by next week then !

Rob

Most reactions

Back