Can anyone identify this plant?

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
This plant is growing in the terrestrial part of my paludarium. I'm pretty sure it came in on some mosses I brought back from Michigan last summer. Anybody know what it is? Just curious.

By the way, the long stems going through it are rice.
plant1.jpg

plant2.jpg

plant3.jpg

It reminds me of Brazilian pennywort, Hydrocotyle leucocephala? But I'm not at all confident in my plant ident skills....! I've also only seen Brazilian pennywort in its submerged form.

I do happen to be close friends with a horticulturalist though, so with your permission I can send him the pics and see if he knows it. He's very good and knows his stuff.

Result from showing pics to horticultural professional friend:

"Looks like some member of the mustard family, some kind of bittercress perhaps? Loads of common weeds in that family."

Answer from fish professional friend with degrees in soil and land management:

"Maybe hydrocotyle species?"
"There's also native American watercress; if that's a foraged piece of moss. Can also be a creeping Jenny, campanola or so many others.
But if from a shop Aquatics store it's probably either Hydrocotyle something or other or a Japanese water cress."

Sorry I couldn't get a more definitive answer! I'm curious now, so please do share if you find out exactly what it is!

Thanks for the answers. It's a really nice little plant, whatever it is. Right now (after also asking on my primitive archery forum, where there are lots of wood-crafty people) the leading contender is Glechoma hederacea, ground ivy. But I'm not completely sure yet.

Result from showing pics to horticultural professional friend:

"Looks like some member of the mustard family, some kind of bittercress perhaps? Loads of common weeds in that family."

Answer from fish professional friend with degrees in soil and land management:

"Maybe hydrocotyle species?"
"There's also native American watercress; if that's a foraged piece of moss. Can also be a creeping Jenny, campanola or so many others.
But if from a shop Aquatics store it's probably either Hydrocotyle something or other or a Japanese water cress."

Sorry I couldn't get a more definitive answer! I'm curious now, so please do share if you find out exactly what it is!
I'm not a botanist. But I remembered that I have a plant identifying app on my phone. It said most likely some kind of bittercress too.

Most reactions

Back