Can Anyone Identify This Freshwater Tropical Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fionn_McCumhaill

Reaction score
Hi to All...
I'm trying to identify this freshwater tropical fish that was recently given to me as a gift. The fish is young, slightly reflective, approx 1 inch long but may grow to 2 inches in length and will develope a striking orange stripe from tip to tail. My friend said that the petshop described them as "hardy" freshwater tropical fish but he forgot to take note of the breed.

Does anybody recognise it?

unidentified_tropical.jpg

Well, the obvious solution to this riddle is to have friend return to pet shop and get name.

Second option is for you to go to the pet shop and find the tank with these fish.

The description would match the odessa barb, but that doesn't look like one. It looks like something that's destined to get bigger than 2 inches. I'll have a think.

I agree, Rob. The finnage is wrong for an Odessa barb.
Another fish with a red/orange stripe would be a denison barb. But, that doesn't seem to match either.

The only fish can think of with your description of a orange stripe from tip to tail is Glowlight Tetra but that pic is not of a Tetra though.

Looks like a Java barb...and if it is, it gets WAY bigger than 2"

I would go to the shop yourself and try to find the fish in question, because the description is not matching any commonly kept well known fish. I suspect there has been a case of mistaken identity, because to me the fish in your photo is looking very carp like.

Could be a checkered barb as well...

Now a checkered barb is a definite possibility.

Hi Jesse, 
your guess may be the best one so far. It could indeed be a Checkered Barb. I'm waiting for my friend to return from his break-away and then I will tie him down to a rusty chair in my basement and begin my interrogation process. It will be painfull. 
devil.gif

Fionn_McCumhaill said:
Hi Jesse, 
your guess may be the best one so far. It could indeed be a Checkered Barb. I'm waiting for my friend to return from his break-away and then I will tie him down to a rusty chair in my basement and begin my interrogation process. It will be painfull. 
devil.gif

In that case, I didn't say anything! 
innocent.gif

Most reactions

Back