Can anyone help me. I have this disease in my pond that’s wiping out my entire pond.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Livebearers that are kept in soft water can develop the shimmies. They basically swim in an S pattern but don't go anywhere. They generally die within a week of showing the symptoms. Mollies in particular have this problem if kept in soft water. They need a General Hardness (GH) of 250ppm+ and a pH above 7.0.

If you can find out what the GH is it might help work out what is going on. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

OK. Sorry, I misunderstood your description.
The bent spine can be caused by a number of things, including hereditary factors, water conditions, and disease.

There is a bacterial infection, commonly called fish tuberculosis, that can cause that bent spine. It normally also causes sores/lesions and loss of scales. If you don't have that, it's probably something else, but in case it is, be careful handling your fish because it can make humans sick, too, not with TB, but a related Mycobacterium.

But most problems have their origins in water quality issues. It is the major trigger in fish TB. The bent spine can also be caused by insufficent oxygen in the water. It is really important that you know the water parameters. It's best if you get your own test kit, but at least take a sample to a local fish shop and have them test it.

If it were me, I would do the following:

1) Remove any sick fish to another pond or tank for treament (wear gloves)
2) Get a test kit, and do frequent water test of both pond & 'hospital' tank
3) Determine treatment depending on water parameters & other symptoms

If it is fish tuberculosis it can only be treated with antibiotics, e.g. Kanamycin, and there is a moderate probability that you will lose all your fish. Fish tuberculosis usually takes a long time to show symptoms, and spreads easily.
Fish TB is unfortunately, incurable.

How warm does it get where you are and do you keep a bubbler or spitter in your pond? It gets very warm here in Texas and I keep a spitter in my pond to help oxygenate the water.

They have nothing on them. No lesions,no scale problems. They kinda like look normal after they are dead. That’s what’s puzzling to me,if it was TB I don’t see nothing like what describes TB on the fish,but I can’t find a treatment that’s working.

It’s very warm here I’m in the Bahamas. I have a big filter system besides I have 2 pumps with bubblers and now I just added another water fountain pump in the middle but my fish is in a 300 gal pond on my patio so it doesn’t get full sun light it gets some sun In the morning and some in the afternoon.

It’s very warm here I’m in the Bahamas. I have a big filter system besides I have 2 pumps with bubblers and now I just added another water fountain pump in the middle but my fish is in a 300 gal pond on my patio so it doesn’t get full sun light it gets some sun In the morning and some in the afternoon.

That’s how mine is too. Under cover on patio. I’m just scratching my head trying to come up with possibilities. I have goldfish so they may just be hardier. Perhaps contact some companies that raise koi and pond fish and see what they suggest. I know this is frustrating and I’m so sorry.

Yes very frustrating I’ve lost around 200 fish mostly mollies and I can’t find no treatment to work

Yes very frustrating I’ve lost around 200 fish mostly mollies and I can’t find no treatment to work
Many members have asked for the GH of your water. GH is the General Hardness of the water and measures dissolved solids like magnesium and calcium in the water. Your fish all need a high GH, particularly mollies. If the water is not hard enough for mollies they will not thrive.
You can buy test kits to find out the GH, or your water supplier's website may publish it in the water quality report.

If you don't have any other species of fish in the pond, you could drain the pond and refill it with dechlorinated water and sea water (if you have access to clean sea water). Use a 50/50 mix of fresh water and sea water and keep the fish in that for a few months.

You can keep mollies in pure sea water and that is an option too, but try half sea water first.

Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do huge water changes if there is any reading above 0.

Last edited:
Yea thanks but I have Platys guppy’s and swords in my pond too along with the Molly’s but it seems as tho only the Molly’s are dying and getting the disease

if the mollies are dying and the other fish are fine, move the mollies into another pond/ tank/ container and use half sea water on them.

Most reactions

trending

Back