Can A Tank Survive Winter In A Conservatory?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

STEWARDSONS

Fishaholic
Reaction score
a place i am looking at only has room for my tank in the conservatory.

will it be ok during the winter months ?

also will the heater be on pretty much 24/7 and drain the electricity bill?

I would worry more about the direct sunlight on the tank?

I find myself lucky as I don't have a conservatory - everyone I speak to says they are a pain, lol. Always trapping flies and their mess :sick:

Good luck with house hunting though :good:

i was thinking of putting an old quilt or blankets over it at night or all the time on the really cold days.

I'd be more worried about the summer than the winter. At least in winter you can heat the tank or use blankets or whatever, in the summer it will be ROASTING and shining bright sun from all sides.

If its anything like our conservatory then the heaters will be on 24/7 in winter IMO and for added insulation I would be packing a good amount of polystyrene/bubble wrap to the back and sides of the tank.

There is also the slim chance of the glass shattering if it gets too cold in there

We once had a 200g marine tank in our conservatory for around 11 years, make sure that it isn't in direct sunlight, especially during summer months, and it was quite a drain on the energy bill from what I remember! But then again, it was a 6ft marine tank.

Sounds like a less extreme version of what I have to do with my 5x2x2 in an uninsulated garage (albeit I only need to maintain an 18C winter coling period for my Redline Torpedo Barbs; Barilius; Panda Garra; Indian Redtail Squirrel Loach). Lots of uninsulation layers including bubblewrap; condensation trays; polystyrene tiles; old curtains; old blankets.

As for the electric meter, yes it will wizz around due to the heater (s) being on a lot, as I found out last winter when I tried to maintain 22C in my 5x2x2 (which is why I removed the tropical African fish and brought them inside over the past few weeks). Have you got two heaters installed? What is your total wattage of heaters at the mo?

you can put one in there over winter - but as stated the heater will have to do a tough job to keep the temp up. Would be well worht having a second back-up heater in there as well in case the main one fails.

I had a Q tank running in my shed during the recent cold snap. It's fine, but you've just got to consider the consumption of the heater.

does anyone have any idea how much extra electricity a month it will be? it just im going into a house share and the girl said she would charge me extra for the electricity, all i need to work out is if i can afford it on top of the rent or if i should look for a cheaper place.

i am also running 2 filters and 4 t5's on it, i feel its going to cost a lot and she will want more from me when she realises the cost

Most reactions

trending

Back