Came Home To Powerless Tank :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kylealastairlove

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hello! i came home late in the evening and noticed that there was no power in my tank at all, no filter no heater no nothing :( i think somebody took my plug out by mistake thinking it was a plug for something else i checked the temp and it had dropped from 78F to 75F all my fish are still okay, well they look it at the moment, the tank must have been without power for about 4-5 hours please please please tell me that my filter will not have died and that i will have to cycle again :( knowing that it needs running water passsing through it :( ?

If it's been off for less than twelve hours, you should have no problems :good: Just do some extra tests and perhaps a big water change, to be on the safe side.

if the filter cartridges are still wet it should be fine. I think they lose 12% every 24 hours so if it has only been a few hours you should be okay :)

woah well that took a load off my mind, glad it'll be okay i did a water test and everything was as it usually is so i take it things are okay :) im going to do a water change just to be on the safe side anyway :) thanks for the replies :good:

its long been believed that the friendly filter bacteria dies off very quick if the filter isnt running but all that was put to shame under new research which i read in a pfk magazine. you will be fine mate so dw

if the filter cartridges are still wet it should be fine. I think they lose 12% every 24 hours so if it has only been a few hours you should be okay :)
Is that 24 hours without water, flow, or food? Not doubting your numbers as they sound reasonable, I've just never heard that number before. I would like to read up on subject a little more myself.

This topic will give you an idea of where that percentage comes from, wet media, no supply of food, or O2, but kept at least damp. As stated in that topic it it most likely less than that, but a margin of error is given.

Most reactions

trending

Back