Caco3 Substrate In An Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I used to be a regular user of this forum, but I've spent the past few years dealing with...well...life!

Anyway, cutting straight to the point, I bought the only true BLACK sand I could find on the internet (my area is terrible for aquatic item purchases you see), but it turns out that it is a substrate used for reptiles etc, and is made up of CaCO3.
As I say, I've spent a few years away from fish keeping, so a few things didn't enter my thoughts and a few things probably still haven't entered my thoughts about this.

I understand that my pH will have risen, but will it change with temperature also? I only ask because there is no heater just yet (I do plan on adding a heater) and as far as I'm aware there can't have been much of a pH change as the aquarium water is ~7.5pH and my tap water is ~7.0pH (very hard to distinguish the difference).
My other concern is also that the 4Kg bag I bought has covered only HALF of the aquarium floor so I will be needing to buy another 4Kg....is this going to increase pH further?

Once set up properly, I am hoping to hold south American fish so I understand that the pH would (preferably, but not strictly) have to be slightly acidic.

Cheers,
Pink.

Hello again :)

As you want to keep fish, which prefer soft and acidic water, I would go for a different substrate (remove the black sand again). CaCO3 will harden your water and increase your pH over time, and that is nothing you want.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back