C02 And Ferts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blendingshadow

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are c02 and ferts need for a planted tank?

If so, how do you work out bpm per gallon or litre?

I wouldn't say needed but they do benefit them. Try starting off with liquid CO2, then gt into the pressurized methods

I have a 450L tank, t5 108w light setup n I tun the lights for 8 hours. I am using flourish excel n I have got a drop checker, glass diffuser n a home c02 yeast based generator n my plants are still melting so to speak.

Can one replace the other or do you need both?

I believe diy will not work on big tanks

What plants do you have?

I have a large range. I bought a plant collection from java fern.com

There's around 100+ plants so quite possibly too much of a range?

There's a good mix of background, mid n foreground though, would that make up for to many different ones?

Its not really about the different plants but they all have individual needs, would have been a slightly better idea to research some plants first then see how hard they are to grow etc, dont take that the wrong way, but its quite difficult when a massive bunch of plants turn up and you put them in your tank and then wonder why they dont grow lol

Any pics?

You say you are using "Flourish Excel" if so you also need to dose some sort of fertilizer.

TPN+ (tropical plant nutrition +) is a good fertilizer to name one out of many.

So you could use liquid c02 and ferts rather than spending lots of money on a c02 kit?

So you could use liquid c02 Carbon and ferts rather than spending lots of money on a c02 kit?

Yes, it's not as good but you can do it to good effect. You'll just have to work out if it will cost you more in liquid carbon than in gas. :good:
You can use the two together if you want to later on too.

Awesome, I might look into using the fire extinguisher version I have seen on the forum.

Is there an all in one or cheap fert that you can buy in bulk?

Does it would out better to buy dry or liquid ferts?

Its not really about the different plants but they all have individual needs, would have been a slightly better idea to research some plants first then see how hard they are to grow etc, dont take that the wrong way, but its quite difficult when a massive bunch of plants turn up and you put them in your tank and then wonder why they dont grow lol

Any pics?

This was a good point. I bought a large plant package because I cant get a variety locally, but now my tank looks like a big muddled mess with 20+ different variety's and all have different needs for light etc. I am going to have to start from scratch. I will be buying a few plants at a time and choosing them with purpose.

I am assuming you buy each of these elements seperate and then mix them based on:
"Dosing is 5ml per 40 litres
Each 5ml dose adds:
1.5 ppm Nitrate
0.4 ppm Phosphate
1.6 ppm Potassium
0.2 ppm Magnesium"

but where I got lost with that page is

"48g Potassium Nitrate
2.2g Potassium Phosphate (monobasic)
17g Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate (Epsom Salts)
0.5g E300 Ascorbic Acid
0.2g E202 Potassium Sorbate
5g EDTA Chelated Trace Elements Mix (TNC Trace, CSM+B)
500ml distilled water"

It looks like there are more products and or minerals used in the final thing?

What am I missing? Thanks for being so patient

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back