Buying fish online or should I wait try the stores in a few weeks ?

Jellybean123

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a specific type of fish to breed that’s hard to get locally to me, I had got a supplier lined up but now they can’t supply so I have 3 tanks all waiting and have been cycling for a while with no fish in . I have contacted all stores with in a few hours drive approximately 40 stores . Only one said they had some in but I have asked for details ie colours available they have twice said they would send it and haven’t , the store 3 hours away which is to far unless they have what I need in . Then I have found two stores who have said they can order in . One I have been chasing for a week and they don’t seem interested. Another has said he can add them to an order in 3 weeks maybe.

My last option is I order online only disadvantage is I can’t pick genders or check quality. Also the only place that stocks online has a couple bad reviews on fish not being the quality expected when shipped out ?

Would you wait or order online ?

It's difficult. If you order from a store, most justifiably see it as a commitment to buy. They have to pay for the fish after all, and if it is something obscure, they may not have other buyers. So in that case, a wholesaler may fear the store owner's wrath if they send sick fish -I had a local guy I would order through and he was ferocious with suppliers if anything was off. He got good fish. But most stores don't have that long developed relationship with their suppliers. In that case, you may as well order blind online and take your chances. It will always be 50/50, risky and potentially expensive.

It's always better to examine fish closely before you buy them.

I have two questions.

Is the fish you want likely to be wild caught or tank bred?

Is it a fish you might find in a local aquarium club? If you have 40 stores within four hours, you are living in the lap of luxury compared to the North American scene. You will have serious aquarists around if the region supports that level of retail. Could their be home breeders?

What is it specifically that you are looking for? I have always had great service from Tropco. They do have a few varieties of ricefish in at the mo (based on your other posts)

Most reactions

Back