But They're So Cute! ;_;

soraxcloud

New Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ummm okay so I have another question... I bought three fish from my local walmart. (I know not the best place but work with me here) They have them labeled as Perscale Oranda. The best way I can describe them is little marbles with fins. They are so cute and I love them! Though that's not the problem... the problem is they all died! So I got my money back on two (the other I bought separate and lost the receipt >.>) and went to a different walmart to get 2 more. Ours was out for some reason or another. Now these two are sick aswell! They are all covered in little white flecks and their fins are chewed up! None of my other fish have it and I tried using ick cure stuff. Did I release some horrible plague on my tank? (Our walmart isn't really the greatest with fish care. >.>)


Oh and how long dose it take for corycats to hatch? Are there any good guides for taking care of da babies?
 
DO NOT buy fish from Walmart. Ever. They're crap. Go to a local fish store. Pearlscales are cute, but often they are born without organs like spleens. I wouldn't trust buying one unless they were $50 from a reputable breeder.

Look for balloon mollies. They're cute too, but are cheaper, hardier, and easier to care for. But NOT FROM WALMART!
 
DO NOT buy fish from Walmart. Ever. They're crap. Go to a local fish store. Pearlscales are cute, but often they are born without organs like spleens. I wouldn't trust buying one unless they were $50 from a reputable breeder.

Look for balloon mollies. They're cute too, but are cheaper, hardier, and easier to care for. But NOT FROM WALMART!

Without spleens. O_o;;;

First off how big is the tank? And is it cycled?

Perscale Orandas are a type of fancy goldfish.

It's 20 gallon and... I think so... You mean like have I had it set up for a wile and do water changes an stuff? Ehhh your gunna hate me cause I should know exactly what that means huh. ^_^;;;
 
The article below explains what cycle is and how it works :) ;

http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...-tank-syndrome/


Pearlscales are cute, but they're a type of fancy goldfish and unless you have a coldwater/sub-tropical tank, they are unsuitable for your tank- all goldfish grow large, for pearlscales i would recommend 15-20gallons for the first one and 10gallons for every one after that.

Try to avoid impulse buying fish, since a lot of fish commonly sold in petshops look cute and pretty while small, but unfortunately don't stay small and can end up growing very large and needing a very large expensive aquarium to be kept properly etc. If you really want a fish you see in a petshop, go back to your home and research everything about it first before buying it, from its compatibility with your fish to how large it grows, what it eats, what its state of water quality preferences are, whether it does best or not with its own kind and how many etc etc. A lot of pet shop staff are not very well trained nor knowledgeable on the fish they sell, so its very important for you to do your own research so you can know for sure you can look after the fish you want properly :nod: .

Another issue with impulse buying fish and just releasing them into your tank is that you could risk introducing diseases and parasites from the new fish to your old fish. If you think you might be buying more fish for the tank in the future, it would probably be a worth while investment to have a filtered and heated quarentine/hospital tank of about 5-10gallons- there are some really infectious and lethal fish diseases and parasites out there in the fishkeeping hobby which can easily be introduced to healthy fish tanks by putting new fish in them which haven't been quarantined.
With the disease/parasite thats affecting the fish, can you describe how large the white flecks are? When you treated the tank for Ich, how do you go about it exactly and how long did you treat the fish for?
 
The article below explains what cycle is and how it works :) ;

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...-tank-syndrome/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...-tank-syndrome/[/URL]


Pearlscales are cute, but they're a type of fancy goldfish and unless you have a coldwater/sub-tropical tank, they are unsuitable for your tank- all goldfish grow large, for pearlscales i would recommend 15-20gallons for the first one and 10gallons for every one after that.

Try to avoid impulse buying fish, since a lot of fish commonly sold in petshops look cute and pretty while small, but unfortunately don't stay small and can end up growing very large and needing a very large expensive aquarium to be kept properly etc. If you really want a fish you see in a petshop, go back to your home and research everything about it first before buying it, from its compatibility with your fish to how large it grows, what it eats, what its state of water quality preferences are, whether it does best or not with its own kind and how many etc etc. A lot of pet shop staff are not very well trained nor knowledgeable on the fish they sell, so its very important for you to do your own research so you can know for sure you can look after the fish you want properly :nod: .

Another issue with impulse buying fish and just releasing them into your tank is that you could risk introducing diseases and parasites from the new fish to your old fish. If you think you might be buying more fish for the tank in the future, it would probably be a worth while investment to have a filtered and heated quarentine/hospital tank of about 5-10gallons- there are some really infectious and lethal fish diseases and parasites out there in the fishkeeping hobby which can easily be introduced to healthy fish tanks by putting new fish in them which haven't been quarantined.
With the disease/parasite thats affecting the fish, can you describe how large the white flecks are? When you treated the tank for Ich, how do you go about it exactly and how long did you treat the fish for?

They look like grains of salt all over them. Like I wanna pick um off. >.>

I used something called QuICK Cure and I used it for about a week with no effect. I've stopped using it cause none of the other fish seem to be getting it and I now have corycat eggs in my tank too.
 
It does sound like ich, but i think you may have not treated the tank for effectively. The parasite which cause ich/whitespot has numerous life cycles, and some of these do not show external symptoms on the fish- when the parasite is on the fish its un-treatable, but once its dropped off the fish and is free-swimming, then is the time it is vulnerable and can be killed off by meds.
So the best way to treat ich successfully is raise the tanks temp by a degree a day until it is 29-30degree's C (to help speed up the parasites life cycles) and increase the aeration in the tank (since because the temp in the tank will be very warm, dissolved oxygen levels in the water will be less) and treat the tank with an anti-ich med and/or marine salt for at least 2weeks- more on understanding ich and how to successfully get rid of it;

http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical...-Your-Aquarium/

http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical...2/What-is-ICH-/

:thumbs: .

If you don't treat the parasite for long enough, it'll only keep coming back, so you need to treat it harshly by treating it for a long time taking the right measures to help completely kill it off :nod: .
 
It does sound like ich, but i think you may have not treated the tank for effectively. The parasite which cause ich/whitespot has numerous life cycles, and some of these do not show external symptoms on the fish- when the parasite is on the fish its un-treatable, but once its dropped off the fish and is free-swimming, then is the time it is vulnerable and can be killed off by meds.
So the best way to treat ich successfully is raise the tanks temp by a degree a day until it is 29-30degree's C (to help speed up the parasites life cycles) and increase the aeration in the tank (since because the temp in the tank will be very warm, dissolved oxygen levels in the water will be less) and treat the tank with an anti-ich med and/or marine salt for at least 2weeks- more on understanding ich and how to successfully get rid of it;

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical...-Your-Aquarium/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical...-Your-Aquarium/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical...2/What-is-ICH-/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/Tropical...2/What-is-ICH-/[/URL]

:thumbs: .

If you don't treat the parasite for long enough, it'll only keep coming back, so you need to treat it harshly by treating it for a long time taking the right measures to help completely kill it off :nod: .


Okay... so two questions. The one site said scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches should not have the ich clear used on them. I have both so dose that mean I should move them to another tank before I try to do the ick meds again? What if they have the ick too? Also My two Albino Corycats just produced a clutch of eggs on the side of the tank I have a covering over them instead of trying to move them and possibly damaging them. Should I wait till after the eggs hatch and I can move the babies or will it not hurt the eggs?
 
i dont know about the whole egg thing but if i remember correctly (i should) when it comes to sensitive critters you 1/2 dose the tank as to not hurt them.... i think... dont quote me...
 
i dont know about the whole egg thing but if i remember correctly (i should) when it comes to sensitive critters you 1/2 dose the tank as to not hurt them.... i think... dont quote me...

Thank you very much! >w<

So is anyone else able to confirm or deny this? I just don't want to end up killing the eggs. Although I dunno if they are developing or just growing mold maybe... They are turning a tan color...
 
Ummm I should probably tell you both of the infected ones died the night before last. I'm going to wait till I know for sure that the ick is gone from my tank before trying to get more. (I still love them they are awesome!)

I would still like more info on this though please don't abandon me cause there isn't an immediate problem! :(
(that would be why I didn't say anything but it's probably better that you know. >.>)
 
Okay... so two questions. The one site said scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches should not have the ich clear used on them. I have both so dose that mean I should move them to another tank before I try to do the ick meds again? What if they have the ick too? Also My two Albino Corycats just produced a clutch of eggs on the side of the tank I have a covering over them instead of trying to move them and possibly damaging them. Should I wait till after the eggs hatch and I can move the babies or will it not hurt the eggs?


I've never used Ich Clear personally, but if it says not to use it on a particular fish and you have that particular fish then i wouldn't advise using it- see if you can get another brand of anti ich med, or just use marine salt instead to treat the ich (while marine salt isn't good for a lot of types of catfish and cyprinids/characins, its ok to use it in the short term if its been used to treat a particular medical problem on the fish like ich) :thumbs: .

You will probably damage the cory eggs with whatever you treat the tank with, however your fish are more important than the eggs and if you don't treat the tank they will just keep dying. The corys will produce plenty more eggs in their lifetime if you create the right conditions for them to spawn in (lots of cold water changes), so for now your current living fish should be the priority rather than potential fry :nod: .
 
i dont know about the whole egg thing but if i remember correctly (i should) when it comes to sensitive critters you 1/2 dose the tank as to not hurt them.... i think... dont quote me...

Thank you very much! >w<

So is anyone else able to confirm or deny this? I just don't want to end up killing the eggs. Although I dunno if they are developing or just growing mold maybe... They are turning a tan color...


Personally i wouldn't treat the tank with a half-dose because it may not completely kill the ich off and so you could just end up wasting valuable time treating the fish with treatments that don't work properly- killing off the ich 100% ASAP is your top priority right now :nod: .

Ummm I should probably tell you both of the infected ones died the night before last. I'm going to wait till I know for sure that the ick is gone from my tank before trying to get more. (I still love them they are awesome!)


I wouldn't advise buying fish for at least 2-3 weeks after the ich has been wiped out in the tank just to be on the safe side, since if there's any still present in the tank, new fish will be particularly vulnerable to it (i've seen people before try and re-stock their tanks soon after getting rid of ich in their tanks only for it to come back and infect the new fish because it isn't totally gone)- only time will tell whether its completely gone after you've finished treating it.
 
i dont know about the whole egg thing but if i remember correctly (i should) when it comes to sensitive critters you 1/2 dose the tank as to not hurt them.... i think... dont quote me...

Thank you very much! >w<

So is anyone else able to confirm or deny this? I just don't want to end up killing the eggs. Although I dunno if they are developing or just growing mold maybe... They are turning a tan color...


Personally i wouldn't treat the tank with a half-dose because it may not completely kill the ich off and so you could just end up wasting valuable time treating the fish with treatments that don't work properly- killing off the ich 100% ASAP is your top priority right now :nod: .

Ummm I should probably tell you both of the infected ones died the night before last. I'm going to wait till I know for sure that the ick is gone from my tank before trying to get more. (I still love them they are awesome!)


I wouldn't advise buying fish for at least 2-3 weeks after the ich has been wiped out in the tank just to be on the safe side, since if there's any still present in the tank, new fish will be particularly vulnerable to it (i've seen people before try and re-stock their tanks soon after getting rid of ich in their tanks only for it to come back and infect the new fish because it isn't totally gone)- only time will tell whether its completely gone after you've finished treating it.

I'm actually tempted to just get another tank if I fell like getting more pearlscale. xP

They are soooo awesome! >w<
 

Most reactions

Back
Top