Bumble Bee

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a tank, stocked with angelfish, and corydora. I wanted to make sure it was okay to add a bumblebee catfish (Pseudopimelodus raninus). It is an okay size, and the Ph of the tank is about 6.5. I thought it would be okay, but wanted to make sure it was fine with Corydora.

Hey,

I was just looking at some pages on them from google and it says they can get up to 6 or 7 inches!? True or False!? Think they will be okay for Discus or maybe a little too fast moving? They are notural so it might not be good with Discus...

I would advise not to keep them with corys either. They are quite predatory and Id more think they would eat the corys. I cant help on the discus issue sorry

that would be best, they love to prey on smaller fish, apperantly they will also make a humming noise before they are about to kill ( im not 100% sure about this i have never heard mine do it, i think i may have read that here or on planet carfish?) mine was about 5cm and ate 4 adult size female guppys in one night.
Hope it all works out for you.

Hi there :> I have a 6 inch bumblebee housed on his own. He is a grumpy fish! when small, he was in with community fish at the pet store, so I placed him with my GF's 2 honey gouramis and three peppered cories in a nice set-up. Needless to say, as soon as he grew an inch they did not last long! However, I have kept him as he is gorgeous and quite characterful, and have just bought him a nice new larger tank, so I can use my biotope tank for honey gouramis again :p also, you can keep bumble bees in a group (of similar sized animals) provided there is enough cover to define territories, and good filtration! Bumbles are fine with fish too large to be eaten, so if your angels are large, there is more risk those pugnacious gits will pick on the bumble bee!

depends on the nature of the fish, some cant even stand the sight of theyr own kind, even catfish that look similar to them, depends how long they have been on theyr own i spose, i had mine in with a salmon tailed catfish wich at the time (unfortunantly i no longer have my salmon tailed tailed cat fish known as fatty) was twice the size of my bumblebee, they were together one night and the bumblebee ate all fattys top fin :eek: it was a huge shock, they both went back into theyr own tanks.

It all depends on the actual species of the bumblebee catfish as that common name applies to myriad of different catfish.

Some stay small (rarely more than 3 or 4") whereas others grow past a foot and become extremely predatory.

Sadly, identifying between the species on a juvenile specimin is far from the easiest thing to do.

mine eats everything flake, sinking pellet, blood worm, mosquito larvae, small piece of shrimp anything!

I have two Bumblebee catfish and they are savage if they want food but mine are heavily nocturnal...I have about a 6-7" Bumble bee catfish he is a MONSTER! but hasn't done anything evil to my knowledge

i currently have 3 bumble bee catfish right now.
they are starting to eat freeze dried shrimps!! :D
1 died of unknown reason but the 3 r thriving when the lights go out. hehehehe

Most reactions

trending

Back