Bumble Bee Shrimp Cube...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TetraUk

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
25L Aqua-Qube Journal

Due to the main aquarium being situated in the living room, I have been considering a small aquarium for the study as I spend so much time in there with course work and forum browsing...

Recently I managed to pick up a second hand 25L Superfish Qube which fits rather well on my desk!

Qube will be low tech however I will be dosing with liquid ferts, plan is to start with a few Cherry Shrimp once it's established and take it from there ;) perhaps a few Celestichthys margaritatus later on.

After reading various topics on substrate, I decided to go with Cat litter as I am setting this up on a budget.

Before:
qubeo.jpg

After:
071xq.jpg

Already have a overhead Boyu light which fits the Qube really well and just had to order a few essentials such as a 25W Heater Thermostat & Aqua Flow 100 Filter which have now arrived and are set-up.

Waiting on the arrival of a nice piece of pre-soaked sumatran bogwood which will have Microsorum Pteropus var. Needle and Vesicularia montagnei attached with
Glossostigma elatinoides planted in the foreground.

:unsure: Well that's the plan anyway...

Cheers,

Tetra'UK

2 Bumble bees - Thu Dec 29, 2011

Nice!

What's going in there? A Fighter? Shrimp? Microrasboras?

looks good cant wait to see it grow =]

Cheers :hey:

Shrimp cube once it's well established... probably start of with a few Cherry shrimp but long term plan is to have some Caridina cf. breviata

Qube update:
073mh.jpg

Plants are just loose at the moment, awaiting the bogwood arrival... which I fear is currently stuck in the Christmas parcel backlog as I was told it was dispatched on Friday via first class recorded delivery but still hasn't arrived :(

Please excuse the dirty glass, hasn't been cleaned yet as waiting to do everything in one go once bogwood arrives ;)

Water change due tonight, using old water from the four foot's water change... which should speed up the filter priming.

Looks fantastic mate. I think it is an Arcadia ARC and not a Superfish tank unless it has been rebadged?

Hi Minnnt,

It had a big Superfish sticker on the front, when I collected it (as seen in the first pic) but yes it appears the Arcadia cubes do look exactly the same :shifty:

-points to filter-
I have two of those things, and i personaly HATE them. so rubbish.
though the spray bar is alright only good thing on them.

Nice little tank setup though XD

Hi Asteria,

The Aqua-flow 100 seems to be pretty good so far.. no complaints especially when it only cost £6.88 including postage from Amazon, best deal I could find for a new small filter with spray bar and media so really cannot complain at that price.

Water cleared very quickly when the filter was added, filter is rather powerful and is now running on the lowest flow setting to prevent the plants being blasted round the aquarium.

Time will tell, as long as it doesn't chew up the shrimp it should be fine ;)

Yeah I would say its an arcadia and the sticker was added afterwards. The filters sound great! Price was excellent!

It's one of the Superfish cubes that PFK gave away with subscriptions a few years back, I have one sitting next to me as a betta tank - nice tanks :).

Very nicely set up :D.

A tip on the shrimp - don't put cherries in there if you want the bumblebees to breed. The cherries breed far, far faster and I don't know if the baby bb shrimp just get out competed for food by the cherries or what but I've only ever managed to get a breeding population in tanks separate from cherries :unsure:. Possibly just me though lol.

It's one of the Superfish cubes that PFK gave away with subscriptions a few years back, I have one sitting next to me as a betta tank - nice tanks :).

A tip on the shrimp - don't put cherries in there if you want the bumblebees to breed. The cherries breed far, far faster and I don't know if the baby bb shrimp just get out competed for food by the cherries or what but I've only ever managed to get a breeding population in tanks separate from cherries :unsure:. Possibly just me though lol.

Thanks for the tip... Think I will hold out and wait till I'm ready to get some Bumblebees in that case.

Well I'm slowly getting somewhere with the Qube after the Bogwood finally decided to show up :grr:

Wood was a little tall so had to trim it a tad in order to fit the glass lid back on... Attached some plants that I had managed to collect ready for the wood and submerged, now has Needle Java fern and Christmas Moss attached which I hope will take. Found a couple of nice stones whilst out on a walk that match the substrate rather well and so have added them with the intension of planting the Glosso which is currently floating around them when my new plant tweezers arrive.

1315578604.jpg

1315578603.jpg

Please let me know what you think, good or bad :lol:

Cheers,

T'UK

Thanks for the tip... Think I will hold out and wait till I'm ready to get some Bumblebees in that case.

Well I'm slowly getting somewhere with the Qube after the Bogwood finally decided to show up :grr:

Wood was a little tall so had to trim it a tad in order to fit the glass lid back on... Attached some plants that I had managed to collect ready for the wood and submerged, now has Needle Java fern and Christmas Moss attached which I hope will take. Found a couple of nice stones whilst out on a walk that match the substrate rather well and so have added them with the intension of planting the Glosso which is currently floating around them when my new plant tweezers arrive.

1315578604.jpg

1315578603.jpg

Please let me know what you think, good or bad :lol:

Cheers,

T'UK
good =] it looks great IMO cant wait untill it grows out a little

Looks great ! Did you get any smell off the cat litter (other than the fragrance initially, which goes after a day or so) ?

Most reactions

trending

Back