Axleuk

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have in my tank

2x Dwarf Gouramis 1male and 1 female
2x Sunset Honey Gouramis both male
1x Plec
and some Cherry Barbs

The tanks to be peaceful enough and they all seem to play along nicely, except for the male Gourami.

When its feeding time i have been sinking an algae wafer behind a rock at the front of the tank, the plec seems to go there when i open the lid as if he knows its yum yum time.

Now then, it appears that the male Dwarf gourami has been hanging out in that same spot for the past few days and wont let anyone go near it, except the Plec as i think he realises he will not win that fight.

He quite often chases off the other fish with his fin raised and asserts his authority but to be fair, i dont think the other fish mind too much, to be honest i think they all gang up on him as if they are ringing his doorbell and running away.

The male Gourami (i really need to name him) has bags of character though, i can literally open the lid, put my finger in the water and he will come to the surface and let me stroke him quite contently.

Should i be worried with his chasing antics? I know they can be territorial at times but at the same time i dont want the other fish to get stressed as a result.

Gourami's also love algae wafers, so hes probably realised that is where you put it so is hanging around in case he gets some too :)

whilst they can be a little territorial especially to other gourami I dont think it will be anything too serious, just as you say, asserting his authority. You may like to get another female though, as he could decide he's frisky and stress the female, with two female he will share his 'oats' with both :)

Gourami's also love algae wafers, so hes probably realised that is where you put it so is hanging around in case he gets some too :)

whilst they can be a little territorial especially to other gourami I dont think it will be anything too serious, just as you say, asserting his authority. You may like to get another female though, as he could decide he's frisky and stress the female, with two female he will share his 'oats' with both :)

Damn, i have never wanted to be Gourami as much as i do now :) !

Thanks Minxfishy

Apart from being prone to the fatal Iridovirus, DGs are seriously unpredictable. I kept a few three or four years ago until one day they decided to take out all ten of my Cardinal Tetras. They herded them into a corner then took it in turns to go in and pick one off. Unfortunately, I was at work at the time and couldn't do a damned thing about it. They'll never darken my aquarium again.

Ok today i have introducted 4 x Danios and another Female Dwarf Gourami.

I also added some floating plants.

Now the male Dwarf Gourami is going nuts and chasing everyone with his fin raised. I hope this is just another temporary territorial thing, if not i may have to find him a new home.

Keep an eye on him Axle, probably just re-aserting his authority with the newcomers but you never can tell :)

I heard that if you move around you decoration (if they can be) that the fish will "lose" thier existing territorries and make new ones. The more you move decor around, the less territorial the fish may be.

I heard that if you move around you decoration (if they can be) that the fish will "lose" thier existing territorries and make new ones. The more you move decor around, the less territorial the fish may be.

Yes, i was informed of this this evening. I think the aggression has something to do with the bubblenest it has started building so will wait and see how things pan out for the time being.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back