Bulldog Or Bristlenose

sXeLifer

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
292
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Arbroath, Scotland
I have been looking both these plecos up for some time now as I don't know which to get. I can get an infantile BN now for £3 or wait a week for a £20 Bulldog. Both are cool and I was leaning towards waiting for the bulldog but I'm still not certain. What do you guys think?

Cheers
 
i have always kept BN in the past and recent aquired a Bulldog, both are great fish i personally can't recommend one more than the other.

its down to personal preference really, you could always look into different BNs such as starlights for example
 
I have had Albino BN Pleco now for a couple of year's. Had them since fry and all are doing well, they do tend to be a little shy and like hiding places. I find the females come out more and they sure know when its feeding time. And I have spotted my first Baby so we happy with them, I've not tried to bread them though, just let them get on with it.
 
If you're willing to get one male and one female bristlenoses, then I would go for those, otherwise just the one Bulldog.
 
"Bulldog Plecs" (Chaetostoma species, of which there are at least 25+) need a relatively specialized setup to do well, which mean tankmates need to have the same requirements as them...


  • There are a few exceptions, but most need coolish water in the 20-23C range. This is vital because water's ability to hold oxygen rapidly decreases about 23C.
  • A lot of water movement, rippling up the water surface, to get oxygen levels near to their potential. My 5-footer is filled to ~500l right now with ~4400lph of turnover from two external filters (i.e. ~8x water turnover, but might be a fraction less in real terms as flow rates drop from those marketing figures), which is the minimum turnover recommended for these fish.
  • My 5x2x2 stocking in my signature shows some fish that can work with Chaetostoma, including my L444 (commonly missold as as C. thomsoni) http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=318

BNs are much more adaptable catfish.

As a sidenote, £20 is a bit steep for a Chaetostoma, unless it is an adult specimen! My 5cm SL youngster mislabelled as a thomsoni (which I knew from reading up before buying her) cost a few pennies over £6.
 
I have been looking both these plecos up for some time now as I don't know which to get. I can get an infantile BN now for £3 or wait a week for a £20 Bulldog. Both are cool and I was leaning towards waiting for the bulldog but I'm still not certain. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Agree with NOTG, go for the BN pleco. Bulldog Plecos need specialized setups ideally, whereas BNs are more adaptable and undemanding. £20 for a Bulldog Pleco is...just...terrible... they are usually around £5, in my LFS they are £3. I would go for a rarer species of BN pleco, like a Lemmon BN Pleco, as I find Common Bristlenose quite bland. :look:
 
I have been looking both these plecos up for some time now as I don't know which to get. I can get an infantile BN now for £3 or wait a week for a £20 Bulldog. Both are cool and I was leaning towards waiting for the bulldog but I'm still not certain. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Agree with NOTG, go for the BN pleco. Bulldog Plecos need specialized setups ideally, whereas BNs are more adaptable and undemanding. £20 for a Bulldog Pleco is...just...terrible... they are usually around £5, in my LFS they are £3. I would go for a rarer species of BN pleco, like a Lemmon BN Pleco, as I find Common Bristlenose quite bland. :look:

I also paid something like £5 or £6 for my bulldog.
Do you know exactly which one you are getting? I suppose there could be some recently discovered species that would justify the price.
 
I have been looking both these plecos up for some time now as I don't know which to get. I can get an infantile BN now for £3 or wait a week for a £20 Bulldog. Both are cool and I was leaning towards waiting for the bulldog but I'm still not certain. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Agree with NOTG, go for the BN pleco. Bulldog Plecos need specialized setups ideally, whereas BNs are more adaptable and undemanding. £20 for a Bulldog Pleco is...just...terrible... they are usually around £5, in my LFS they are £3. I would go for a rarer species of BN pleco, like a Lemmon BN Pleco, as I find Common Bristlenose quite bland. :look:

I also paid something like £5 or £6 for my bulldog.
Do you know exactly which one you are getting? I suppose there could be some recently discovered species that would justify the price.

If it is a Bulldog Pleco, then it will either be Chaetostoma thomsoni or Chaetostoma Milesi. There is a very small chance they will (accidentally) be one of the rarer members of the Chaetostoma family. If its one of the rarer species of Chaetostoma family, then it whould be labelled as Chaetostoma guairense ...
 
I have been looking both these plecos up for some time now as I don't know which to get. I can get an infantile BN now for £3 or wait a week for a £20 Bulldog. Both are cool and I was leaning towards waiting for the bulldog but I'm still not certain. What do you guys think?

Cheers
Agree with NOTG, go for the BN pleco. Bulldog Plecos need specialized setups ideally, whereas BNs are more adaptable and undemanding. £20 for a Bulldog Pleco is...just...terrible... they are usually around £5, in my LFS they are £3. I would go for a rarer species of BN pleco, like a Lemmon BN Pleco, as I find Common Bristlenose quite bland. :look:

I also paid something like £5 or £6 for my bulldog.
Do you know exactly which one you are getting? I suppose there could be some recently discovered species that would justify the price.

If it is a Bulldog Pleco, then it will either be Chaetostoma thomsoni or Chaetostoma Milesi. There is a very small chance they will (accidentally) be one of the rarer members of the Chaetostoma family. If its one of the rarer species of Chaetostoma family, then it whould be labelled as Chaetostoma guairense ...

It is listed as SPOTTED BULLDOG PLECO Chaetosto​ma milesi L187a I hope that'll help to determine whether or not I should get him now. If it helps i was initially looking at a clown pleco but didnt get one as i was told they're very shy all im looking for is a plec that will stay smaller than 15cm so throw some recommendations my way and I'll research them.
 
What fish are already in the tank that the new catfish will join?

This will determine the temp range and water movement that the new addition needs to fit in with, plus the aggression level etc. ;)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top