Bubble Nest?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seal36

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering if the bubbles in this picture are what a bubble nest looks like. I saw it this morning and took the photo and then when I was cleaning I just destroyed the bubbles thinking it was nothing and then realised it could be a bubble nest. Hope you can help from Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 84
Definitely looks like one, yes. Is this your tank with the honey gourami?

It is the tank with the honey gouramis feel sorry about destroying it now will they make another do you think from Tom

If it's any consolation I've destroyed numerous bubblenests that my betta made. You should see another one again :)

That's good then I don't feel as bad now from Tom

My new male is super lousy at figuring out where to make a bubble nest (there is only one corner in the tank where it would work) and he tries everywhere else!  LOL

What makes a place suitable for a bubble nest from Tom

Ah ok so my honey gourami's have 2 corners where they can have a bubble nest in and next time I won't destroy it from Tom

Yes, somewhere the current won't blow the bubbles away, floating plants are definitely a help as are some taller plants that divert the current enough for bubbles to stay in the corners.

What are the chances of my honey gouramis actually breeding and laying fertile eggs. Also if the eggs did hatch do they care for them themselves or do I need to care for them from Tom

I haven't had any luck with mine rearing them successfully (I have assassin snails and they eat the eggs).  But, the male will do all the work, it is usually good to separate the female afterwards.  I think the catch is to have a gentle current so the eggs/then babies can be brought to the surface as well as there be a very warm air pocket between the water and the lid.  That is about all I know.  My first male did manage to protect some eggs until the babies hatch but they all died after that.

Ah ok I don't have any snails and why do you need to take the female away From Tom

The male becomes very aggressive and protective of the eggs and will chase the female away.  This could cause stress to the female and there is the risk the the male could nip the female.

Ah ok it's unusual for the male to care Solely for the fry isn't it usually it's both parents or the mother. If they do breed again I will watch out for any Aggression from the male from Tom

Most reactions

trending

Back