Brown Stuff Growing In My Tank =\

lns0mniax

Reaction score
hi i am kinda new to the hobby and this is the first time posting in the forums though iv been reading it for months..
i am having trouble with 2 of my tanks.. there are brown stuff growing in both of them.. on my fake plants.. filter... gravel.. sand.. i have no idea what it is..
was searching through the whole forum and didnt come across anything that seems like it.. would anyone be able to tell me what it is and how to get rid of it?
i thought it was algea but is it brown like that?

It probably algea. What size of tank u have and what is it stocked with?

its nothing but brown algae( actually diatoms). its caused by new tanks., gravels releasing silicates into the tank. Its not harmful to fish and not to worry about and will probably go away in 6 months or so. Till then you would have to manually clean it. It comes off easily

kinda OT by are those "algae eaters" chinese algae eaters? If so they dont really eat algae when their older and they get quite big.

...or not enough light !

I may be wrong but from what i have heard a lot of times algea comes from too much light, never heard of it coming from not enough, though i may be way off on that too.

A bit of cleaning and water changes and it will be fine.

Murph

I may be wrong but from what i have heard a lot of times algea comes from too much light, never heard of it coming from not enough, though i may be way off on that too.

The brown stuff are actually not algae, but diatoms as stated previously. When conditions exist which are favorable to them, they can cover every surface of the tank. Yes, they are easily removed from tank walls, but not so easily removed from the substrate. Tanks with too little light will never see any actual algae growth, but unfortunately will likely see the arrival and persistence of the brown diatoms.

I had the same prob, my issue was a bit of sun light in the back of my tank, fixed that and bought two algea eaters and she's clean as a whistle over night plants, gravel line, filter & heater, i also invested in a light timer so my lights aren't on for 16+ hours a day.

Most reactions

trending

Back