brown stuff accumulating

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

VulcanNinja

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have brown stuff accumulating on my white gravel, and a plastic "cave rock" I have for a hiding place in my tank? It is currently cycling and nitrite is high, but I don't know what's causing it and if it's bad for my fish.

Thanks.

Probably diatoms (aka 'diatom algae'). If so, it won't harm the fish, otos love to eat it, it's pretty common in new tanks, and eventually it should go away by itself.

well, i have dark brown stuff accumulating on my leaves especially in my tall plants... and im certain it's brown algae.. Vulcan, i think it would be helpful if u post some pics for people to see and just so to avoid speculations..

Leave your lights on for a bit longer and that should clear it. It did in my tank!!!

Yes it looks like that is what it is. Should I get an algae eater? Is this a sign that my cycle is almost finished?? (Please) :)

As a previous poster remarked, this sort of algae is very common in new set ups. It goes away pretyy quickly. It thrives in even low light conditions and also silicates in the water. If it persists after your tank has cycled fully, do regular partial water changes and make sure your gravel is kept clean using a suitable syphon/gravel cleaner.

Otos (otocinclus catfish) will eat it.

Also, just as a heads-up: in a new tank, when it does start to go away, keep an eye out -- in my experience that's when green algae can start to bloom.

Most reactions

Back