Brown Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Welshweeks

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have a breakout of brown algae in my tank which is slowly covering my bogwood, rocks and plants. I was interested in getting some Otto's in a while as I'm thinking that my tank is too "new" at the moment and my understanding is they prefer alage to fish flakes/tabs etc? So, would I be better off going for a bristle nose pleco to clean up this brown algae as they more readily feed on fish flake etc? I'm just thinking maybe 3 otto's would produce less waste than 1 BN plec?

Diatoms appears in new set-ups, or where ammonia was present at some point. It wipes off easy enough, and will eventually clear up on its own after awhile.
It is unsightly, but it's just a little extra maintenance for a couple of weeks.

I have read Oto's won't touch it.

I have read the opposite actually, that oto's love it. Just do some extra water changes adn brush it off everything everytime.

I was planning to get oto's to deal with mine, since I want some anyway, but I can't add fish to my tank atm. They were recommended for brown algae by quite a few different members here, with lot's a fish keeping experience. I'll dig up the threads if you want confirmation.

I have read the opposite actually, that oto's love it. Just do some extra water changes adn brush it off everything everytime.

I was planning to get oto's to deal with mine, since I want some anyway, but I can't add fish to my tank atm. They were recommended for brown algae by quite a few different members here, with lot's a fish keeping experience. I'll dig up the threads if you want confirmation.

+1

I was planning on having some ottos just thought it might be too soon at this time. I did some research about the algae before posting i just wanted to see what other people done under the same conditions. I regularly do water changes (approx 40% weekly) to keep nitrates down. I was originally planning on putting in a bn pleco, but now maybe not as i've been told they will add a considerable amount to the bio load.

IMO they're not always the easiest fish to keep.They only eat certain types of algae ( including diatoms), and can be fussy over which green veg you offer them.

Otocinclus love diatoms, but if you don't want them, I'd suggest a few nerite snails. They are quite attractive, and can clean up diatoms in a flash.

Hi Welshweeks, I've heard that ducks will eat algae...they do make a bit of a mess though and can be annoyingly loud :lol: :lol:

What??...I'm just trying to help!!!

(hope you get it sorted soon)

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back