brown algae overgrowth

Michele

Reaction score
Hi. I am having a problem with brown algae...it's all over my plants(fake) & is getting worse. the water condition is good & I do regular water changes. I've also cut back on the hours with the light on to just 8-10 hours per day. Any suggestions?? Thanks

There are several things that cause algae. It's common in newly cycled tanks. Too much light, overfeeding, poor water conditions are also causes. High phosphates is another. I've heard the phosphates can be controlled by adding REAL plants because they remove some of the phosphates.

How long has your tank been set up?

Brown algae are diatoms that settle in the tank. They are quite common in tanks that have bben set up for a month or two. If this is the case then it will settle down on its own.

thecichlidaddict and heresmike are bang on if this is a new tank. I just cycled a tank and this light brown algae was all over everything but since i have added some plants and a couple of water changes most of it is gone without the use of chemicals. So if it's a new tank don't worry all will be fine soon.

Thanks for the quick replies. Actually yes, it is newly cycled. It's been set up for about 6 weeks now. I'm glad to hear that it will eventually go away on its own. :D

Most reactions

Back