bristlenose pleco Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got a bristlenose pleco today! But when I was transporting to my tank it was fast and I accidentally pinched the tip of it tail it looks fine but it is staying around the heater is that normal? I do not have a cave Yet will be here this week also it is the albino bristlenose pleco and on its fins it has white dots like ich but my other fish don’t have it but when I look at the albino bristlenose pleco on the Internet they have the same thing dots on the fins is that normal also?

probably normal, I think mine have some dots. However if fish is acting sick pay attention

Attachments

• 20221214_193852.jpg
    20221214_193852.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 40
I wouldn't worry too much about accidently pinching the guy, all plecs are armoured and are very tough. The white dots sound normal for an albino although I have only had one in the past.
If the tank is bare, with no plants and no cover, a new bristlenose is going to play it safe and hang close to an object it can hide behind. A heater will do.
Ditto. He will want somewhere to hide, plants don't realy cut it as they want like hard cover, cave, rocks, bogwood etc.

72 on the cool side for bn pleco; try raising the temp to somewhere between 74-78; mind you they can live at 72 but it is on the cool side of things. Also a picture of your tank would help. Generally speaking you shouldn't introduce bn pleco to immature aquarium as they like to graze on biofilm esp when young. Be sure to give it some veggie and meat to eat.

72 on the cool side for bn pleco; try raising the temp to somewhere between 74-78; mind you they can live at 72 but it is on the cool side of things. Also a picture of your tank would help. Generally speaking you shouldn't introduce bn pleco to immature aquarium as they like to graze on biofilm esp when young. Be sure to give it some veggie and meat to eat.
Veggies are good, they don't need meat...but they DO need driftwood to rasp upon

It has plenty of algae and biofIilm and when I woke up this morning I noticed a Difference in the algae and there was a lot less also what veggies do you recommend?

Veggies are good, they don't need meat...but they DO need driftwood to rasp upon
BN'S are omnivores so they need (some) protein as well. though wood seems to be beneficial (certainly as hidingplace) they don't need wood like clowns as part of their diet.

Cut a slice of Cucumber. Weigh it down with a paper clip. Put it in the tank and he will love it.

P
I got a bristlenose pleco today! But when I was transporting to my tank it was fast and I accidentally pinched the tip of it tail it looks fine but it is staying around the heater is that normal? I do not have a cave Yet will be here this week also it is the albino bristlenose pleco and on its fins it has white dots like ich but my other fish don’t have it but when I look at the albino bristlenose pleco on the Internet they have the same thing dots on the fins is that normal also?
rolly just his colouring here’s my guys

Attachments

• 5B3A6691-333D-4338-BDBA-85D16BA0EAC5.jpeg
    5B3A6691-333D-4338-BDBA-85D16BA0EAC5.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 41
this type of pleco must be pretty rare. I never seen one in any of the fish stores I go too. My petco has not had one and neither has Meijer.

Most reactions

trending

Back